Young

- Roderich's POV -

"Have a nice day," I called out to a customer who received their order and walked out the door of the Cafe. It was a slow day in the week. The place was empty, and it was a quiet afternoon.

And then I heard a loud sigh coming from the back room.

"Less sighing and more washing dishes" I yell out to Lovino, who was busy being emotional and not doing his work. Because it was a slow day, only two of us would work. Today, I had the 'pleasure' of working with Lovino. Which always gives me a headache. He would always complain or make the atmosphere sour with him grumpy attitude. But today he was annoying in a whole different way. He was quiet and reserved, spacing off and being emotional. And it started to disturb me because it was nothing like him at all.

Seeing there was no customers coming in, I decided to go ahead and lock the door and switch the "Open" sign over. I made my way towards the back of the kitchen, where I saw him do his work slowly and dazed. I pushed my glasses up and crossed my arms as I stood besides him. It was one of those rare times where I had to do 'parent stuff', "Okay. Are you going to mope around all day or are you going to finally vent your problems out before you run out of breath from sighing dramatically,"

He gave me a side eye and scoffed, "What are you talking about?"

I rolled my eyes, "Lovino, you have only two moods; angry and tired. And honestly, you look both upset and exhausted but it seems like something is bothering you,"

"I'm fine..." He lied. He didn't make eye contact with me for a moment as he wiped a cup. After putting it down, he grabbed another one, but finally looked up at me, "When you and Elizabetha met... did you both knew about each other being ghouls?"

I raised an eyebrow from surprise and confusion. Lovino wasn't one to care enough to ask questions about others. Especially if it pertains to stories that he would get bored of. But he seem genuinely curious. And somehow, somber. I answered, "When I met Elizabetha, I had just moved here, I didn't know anybody. In my family, it was every ghoul for themselves, so I was left alone pretty young. I had just turned 18 and was all alone for the first time. I got a job at an old coffee shop that has been shut down a while ago and she was a regular customer... she's always been lovely and kind. But I didn't dare talk to her or anybody else, not knowing if I can trust them. And there was also the fact that she always came in with a man, later learned that was your Father. They were very close friends. Even so, I always looked forward to seeing her every morning. Anyways... Then one day, I was starting to get hungry and I went out at night. I never hunted before. I didn't know if I had the guts to murder a human, even if it was for the sake of my survival. I was always considered weak. I walked aimlessly in the streets when I suddenly heard a scream in an alley way and I recklessly followed it. As I turned the corner, I saw, red eyes and bloody from a man she just killed. She turned around and saw me, who was frozen on spot, hehe... and then your father came out and almost killed me... but Elizabetha was able to stop him in time. For some reason, she wanted to save me. She barely knew me and I saw her true self, yet she thought that I was worth saving. When I was able to recollect my thoughts and speak, I explained to them that I was a ghoul as well. I should have mentioned that in the first place before almost being mauled alive. Elizabetha was ecstatic and since then, we were friends and later on, made plans to save up and have our own shop and-"

"Okay, okay, I get it" Lovino muttered, "I didn't ask for your whole life story"

I was about to yell at him for being rude, but then he looked up again and asked more, "So you didn't know she was a ghoul up to then. She was just a human customer you had a crush on. Would... would you have really passed up the chance to talk to her and get to know her more and ignore your feelings just because you were a ghoul?..."