Chapter Five

07/09/2017

No.

She wasn't Ryder's mate.

Kristin sat in silence, Ryder closely watching her reaction.

"I knew it," she finally spoke, looking up at him.

"Of course you did," he shook his head and leaned back. His dark eyes returning to their normal color.

"So," Kristin paused, inspecting a french fry.

"So?" Ryder asked.

"So, we don't have to be doing this then," she motioned between him and her.

"Kristin, you can't tell anyone we aren't mates."

"And why not?" She crossed her arms.

"Because it will ruin the alliance between our packs."

Kristin scoffed, "Oh, well."

"Think about this," Ryder raised his finger, telling her to be quiet and listen to him. "How about we make a deal."

Kristin wasn't in the mood to hear his idea but she motioned for him to continue.

"If you don't tell anyone, then we can still fulfill the contract, which would keep our packs allies."

Ryder paused to lean forward, resting his arms on the table.

"If you go through with this, we can pretend to be together for our pack's sake, but we really won't have to do anything."

"Doesn't the contract say we have to get married?"

"Technically, yes. However we don't actually have to get married for real. It will all be fake but look real to everyone else."

"But that means I have to live with you," Kristin said making a face.

Ryder rolled his eyes. "Look, I won't try anything. We don't have to get married even though the contract wants us to. Then, we make both our fathers happy. Plus, our packs are stronger and safer as allies."

"Since when are you so concerned about the well being of our packs?" Kristin asked suspiciously. She felt like there had to be something in it for him.

He scoffed, "I might not like my father, but when my brother takes over, I'll care about the pack's safety."

She raised her brow at him, curious about him admitting he didn't like his father.
It was a pretty big deal to disrespect your father when he was your Alpha, Kristin knew that.

However she decided to save that conversation for later.

"I'm not going to do this forever, you know. You're going to find your mate and leave me."

Kristin might have been mistaken but she thought his eyes softened for a second.

"Fine. When I find my mate, the deal will be off. But only when I find my mate."