Chapter Fifty Three

12/20/2017

*MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Kristin didn't sleep much that night. After waking up at two in the morning, she felt wide awake.

Her mind was going into overdrive, thoughts racing through her head.

She spent the night on the floor, curled up in the comforter that smelled like Ryder.

She was very angry with him, but she knew most of the things he had said were true. She needed to change the way things were. He didn't like it, but she didn't care. Most importantly, she didn't like it.

She told herself she was only doing this for herself, and as of right now, she'd start changing for the better.

Although the clock read five am, Kristin went to shower and get ready for the day. She dried and straightened her long hair and applied makeup afterwords, making sure to focus on her dark under eye circles.

After changing into different clothes, she felt a confidence coming back to her that she didn't know she had lost in the first place.

It was seven by the time she finished eating breakfast downstairs. She decided she didn't care if she had to face Ryder. Her mind was already set on doing her own thing.

"Going somewhere?" she turned to see Ryder leaning in the doorway.

He actually looked tired which wasn't his usual look. There was also a darker color under his eyes and his hair was disheveled— although she liked that part.

Kristin tightened her hold on her purse, "Yes."

Ryder looked her up and down before speaking again.

"Where?"

She made sure to make eye contact with him, "It doesn't matter. I'm going no matter what you say."

His jaw tightened, "You need to stay in Nightfall. It's too dangerous to go outside borders right now."

She nodded before opening the door. She was surprised that he was letting her go, even if he set boundaries.

"Why can't you tell me where you're going?" he asked one last time before she shut the door.

"I'm being independent. Isn't that what you wanted?" she shut the door before he could reply, not wanting to talk about last night.

She drove away in one of the cars that was parked outside, knowing exactly where her first stop would be.

Arriving at the pack building, she walked inside heading straight for the stairs.

Kristin walked down a couple of hallways with offices before knocking on a door.

She didn't think anyone would be in yet, but she thought she'd try anyway.

She was surprised when the door opened, revealing an also surprised Ethan. 

"Luna?" he questioned, not expecting to see anyone this early— let alone the Luna.

"Hey Ethan," she smiled, "I was wondering if I could talk with you for a bit. I know it's early but I need your help."

"Is everything okay?"

She nodded, finding his concern to be strange since he was so young. She guessed that was what made him a good Beta, he was already so responsible.

He opened the door wider, letting her walk in.

Sitting in a chair across from his desk, she waited for him to take a seat before speaking.

"How have you been?"