Chapter Fifty Seven

12/28/2017

Even though she didn't want to admit it, Kristin was glad to be going back to the house— their house.

She hadn't seen Ryder since this morning and although he had completely ignored her while leaving, she wanted to see him.

She blamed the mate bond for making her want to see him, but she told herself she would still act angry with him.

Because she was angry with him, she firmly told herself. She had to keep telling herself she was still angry with him, which in turn made her even more frustrated.

The bond was trying to persuade her to make up with her mate but she would fight it as long as she could. What Ryder did and said to her she knew she wouldn't forget easily.

Opening the door, she quietly made her way into the big entry way. She glanced into the kitchen and living room on her way to the stairs but they were both empty.

She hated how quiet it was when Ryder and her weren't speaking. She almost forgot about being mad at him just so she could hear his voice again. She wished he'd go back to being the care-free, playful, smirking jerk she had first met. Now, that side of him would often disappear and the dominant, controlling, annoying Alpha would take over.

Kristin walked up and down the hallways upstairs, but found she was alone in the house.

She frustratingly got ready for bed and grudgingly hopped in the huge empty bed that had no smell of Ryder.

Sighing, she knew this would be a long, lonely night.

The next morning Kristin woke up pretty easily, despite sleeping horribly. The only reason was to go look for Ryder, however, he still wasn't there.

She decided to go to training and try to forget about Ryder, although trying to forget about your mate turned out harder than she thought it'd be.

"Something's distracting you," Adam knowingly said when Kristin zoned out for the third time.

"Sorry," she shook her head, as if that would clear her mind.

Adam raised a brow, silently asking her what was up.

She just sighed, taking a seat.

"You don't have to talk about it," he said, watching her, "But it would probably be best if we called it a day."

"No, it's okay, I'm fine," Kristin shook her head, getting back up.

"It's too dangerous to keep training if you're getting distracted," he objected. "Why don't we continue where we left off tomorrow?"

"Sure," she agreed, not too confident tomorrow would be better.

When she returned to the house she felt her body relax as she stepped through the door.

She entered the kitchen to see Ryder standing at the counter, looking down at his phone.

She stopped herself from walking any closer to his intoxicating scent.

"Where were you?" she tried sounding nonchalant but her voice was scolding.

He looked up at her, his face void of expression.

Ugh, how could he hide things so well?

"Pack stuff," he vaguely replied.

He was being distant and it caused another pain to start in her chest.

She remained silent, beyond angry with him, yet she couldn't bring herself to leave.