Chapter Thirty Nine

09/20&22/2017

*Words in bold are supposed to be italicized

"How do you guys know each other?" Kristin repeated when they just laughed.

"I met your brother when I tagged along to a meeting between our packs. It was like five years ago," Ryder said.

"Yeah everyone went to that but you," Marcus grinned, looking at Kristin.

She knew that it was custom for packs to have meetings to introduce the future Alphas but she usually stayed home. She wasn't the future Alpha and she wasn't really a wolf at all so it was pointless for her to be included in those things.

"So you two met at a pack meeting five years ago?" Kristin shook her head, not once thinking they would have officially met before.

"Yeah since I was only eleven I didn't really have to stay for the meeting so Ryder and I snuck off and messed around," her brother continued.

"Do you remember when we snuck into the prison without the guards noticing?" Ryder smirked.

"Yeah, that was hilarious! Your parents said you were a bad influence on me."

"Yeah, my mom said I shouldn't get 'the future Alpha' in trouble," Ryder chuckled, and Kristin couldn't help but face him when he mentioned his mother.

"Yeah man, I'm sorry for what happened," Marcus shook his head. Whether he was referring to Ryder's mom, or the more recent incident with his father and brother, Kristin wasn't sure.

She felt bad that Ryder had to deal with so much. She always felt the effects of witnessing what had happened, but it was no where close to it happening with her own family.

If she was in Ryder's place, she'd probably die of a panic attack.

"Thanks," Ryder nodded at Marcus, "I can't really get a break."

The last part was said lightly and he humorlessly smiled.

Kristin instinctively wrapped her arm around Ryder's, pulling herself closer to his side.

She really did have respect for him. She had no idea how he was able to put everything behind him and take over an entire pack.

In that moment, she felt guilty that she was postponing the Luna Celebration and him marking her.

Ryder glanced at her and looked away, clenching his jaw.

"So how's the training coming along?" he asked, changing the subject.

Marcus shrugged, "I'm getting there. Two more years."

"I can't believe you're going be the Alpha in a couple years," Kristin wondered where the time had went. She still remembered when they were kids, they would play around and act like Alphas of the pack. Now it was actually happening.

"I can't believe you're going to be a Luna, sis," Marcus raised his brows.

"Yeah well, I'm a pretty sucky Luna," Kristin admitted, still feeling guilty.