Chapter Nine

07/11-12/2017

"That went well," Ryder sarcastically said, getting into the car.

"I'm glad we got out of there before I murdered you," Kristin muttered, closing her door.

"Shhh, your dad could hear you," he said, eyeing her father who was getting into his vehicle.

They were now both inside their vehicle, and the doors were closed, but that didn't mean her father's wolf hearing wouldn't hear them.

"If he knew we weren't really mates, he would murder you for me," Kristin said, smirking.

"We have a deal," Ryder said lowly, glancing at their parents' vehicles driving away.

"Yeah, yeah, I know," Kristin waved her hand and started the car.

"I don't know why you think you're going to drive back too," Ryder raised his brow, although Kristin was already pulling onto the road.

She shrugged, "Well, I am."

"And what was with that engagement story? Nobody proposes like that."

"Romantic ones do," she grinned at him.

"Tears were streaming down my face," he said with a bored tone.

"That's what happens when you're in love," she said sarcastically, realizing how awkward she had made it by saying that.

"You cry?" Ryder asked, genuinely confused.

"Never mind, you wouldn't understand," she said shaking her head, "You aren't capable of feeling emotions."

"Mmm," he said nodding. "That explains a lot."

She rolled her eyes at him, turning off of the main road to the trail that lead to the house.

"So what are we going to do about the whole marking thing?" Kristin tried not to blush as she spoke.

"Well, since we aren't mates then I guess it wouldn't work."

"What wouldn't work?"

"Me marking you."

"You are not biting me," she said sternly.

He chuckled, running a hand through his hair.

"Don't worry, I won't."

The next day, Kristin was surprised when the front door opened and Gabriel and his mate walked in.

Ryder didn't seem surprised when he spotted them so she figured he had invited them.

Gabriel gave Kristin a warm smile, "Hey, Kristin."

Kristin tried not to look shocked at his politeness. Ryder was his brother after all.

"Hello," she said back in a small voice. She looked back down and busied herself by continuing to cut up vegetables for dinner.

There was something about Gabriel that made him intimidating.
Actually-- she knew what it was. He was an Alpha.

Ryder and Gabriel went upstairs while his mate stayed behind.