Chapter Twenty Three

07/28-29/2017

It was only eleven o'clock, so Kristin could make it back before her parents got worried.

Kristin slowed her vehicle when she reached Nightfall's borders, knowing she had to stop or else the wolves doing rounds would make her stop.

She rolled her window down as one of the wolves shifted back to human form.

It was a female, and she looked confused when she saw Kristin.

"Kristin Marino, from Spirit Moon?"

"Yes," Kristin nodded, trying to keep her voice even, "I wanted to see Ryder."

The female looked to another wolf who had shifted into a human.

He walked over, looking at Kristin.

Once he saw who she was, his eyes slightly widened.

"Please, go right ahead," he motioned for her to go.

"Thanks," she said, confused by his response.

It looked like the female was also confused by his response as she gave him a questioning look.

"She is the Alpha's mate," he explained to her.

Oh, right.

Her eyes widened and she bowed her head at Kristin.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know."

"It's okay," Kristin smiled, shaking her head.

She really wanted to add, I didn't know, either.

When she arrived closer to the pack, she realized she had no idea where Ryder might be.

For some reason, she found herself parking in front of the pack building, and walking inside.

She didn't miss the uneasy feeling the building gave her, as she remembered walking through the doors just days before.

All eyes looked to her as soon as she stepped inside. Probably because she smelled like her own pack, they knew she wasn't from Nightfall.

"Can I help you?" A younger female at a desk asked her.

"Uh, is Ryder here?" she asked, not liking everyone staring at her.

"The Alpha?" the girl asked, almost correcting Kristin, "He's in his office."

She pointed to the stairs and gave Kristin a confused look.

"Thank you," she nodded and quickly walked up the stairs, avoiding everyone's gaze.

She walked down the large hallway, trying to guess which door Ryder would be behind.

A door at the far end opened, and Ryder appeared from behind it.

"Kristin?" he asked, probably not shocked that she was here because everyone most likely told him already. He was probably shocked that she had come here unexpectedly.