What If

You squeaked 'excuse me's and 'passing through's as you rushed into work at the BAU. Garcia called in an emergency meeting. Emily was called in and was already at the site awaiting the rest of her team. And of course it was four in the morning and everything that could go wrong on the way out of your house went wrong. You raked your hand through your hair as best you could as you ascended the building the elevator.

The doors opened and you rushed out, slinging your back over your shoulder. You breathed heavily as you stepped into the conference room finding you were the last to arrive. You shook your head a signed. 

"Typical. Sorry I was late. I couldn't find anything this morning."

"But you sure did find the right shirt," Garcia quipped with a giggle as she looked you up and down.

You gave her a puzzled look, glancing at everyone else seeing them give you equally as amusing stares. All save for one. Spencer was biting the inside of his cheek as he tried not to smile.

with your heart beating wildly you looked down at your attire and froze. If only you could be sucked up into a deep, dark, ever drowning sinkhole. You thought you had grabbed a black business shirt. It seems in your struggle to get ready you just picked up the same shirt you threw on the ground. 

You were never one to pass up a nice graphic t or a cool saying on a shirt. But when the shirt ends up having three boxed choices listing single, taken, and, mentally dating Spencer Reid with the third one checked off, how could you pass up the opportunity to buy it? Never in your life did you think you would be wearing it in the presence of said third option. It may be the truth but you weren't about to share that information with anyone past your own bedsheets and the laundry room.

You bit back a groan but openly winced. "Oh, uh, I uh was helping a small...business group of school girls, uh, raise some money for uh...," you stammered but your half-baked explanation quickly died off as the group gave unconvinced nods. A wave of equally unconvinced 'oh sure's and 'of course's covered your need to explain further.

You bit the inside of your cheek as you set your stuff down and got ready for the quick briefing. You made the mistake of glancing over at Spencer because you then found it difficult to focus on the case. His eyes were alight with mirth and he had given up on biting back his smile. You gave him what you hoped was an apologetic smile back but you feared you just unattractively winced at him.

The briefing went quickly and the case seemed simple enough, though not light-hearted, as always. You stood with the rest of the group and gathered your things ready to join the group heading to the jet. But you decided to hang back a moment to rummage through your desk for a new shirt to change into. But all you ended up finding was a tank top and you weren't about to go out fighting a serial killer with exposed shoulders.

With a sigh and a heavy heart, you swallowed what dignity you had left and headed to the elevators. But you about cried once you saw none other than boy genius standing there like he was waiting for someone. You quietly came over to stand by him pleading with your mind that he wouldn't say anything. But your heart dropped when you saw him out of the corner of your eye glance down at you and you could just feel his smile growing on his face.

You could hear the laughter in his voice. "So you do know a good portion of the building saw you?"

You let out a sigh and shook your head. "Shut up. I know it's nothing short of humiliating."

The elevator doors opened and you both stepped in, Spencer suddenly feeling taller next to you. "Am I really all that embarrassing to be assumed with?"

You snorted and shook your head, running a hand through your hair as you shifted your bag to cover your front. "No. But what is embarrassing is having you see me wear it. Of all people."

The two of you stood in silence for a bit. Your nerves started to jump and your hands started to sweat. You were contemplating wearing the shirt inside out when Spencer moved, drawing your attention. He pulled one of his sweaters over his head and handed it to you with a small smile and kind eyes. You stared at it until he pushed it forward again.

Whispering a thank you, you took it from him and tried your best not to melt at being surrounded by his smell and body warmth still emanating from his surprisingly soft sweater. Thank goodness it was getting cold outside or else someone may mistake your rosy cheeks for a blush.

It felt like the ride to the jet was taking forever and you weren't sure how much longer you could take standing in tangible awkwardness. Suddenly, as if he read your mind, Spencer leaned across you to press the button that you never pressed, putting the elevatior in motion.

"What if?" Spencer asked as he righted himself while you could noticeably tell he was standing much closer.

You blinked. "What if what?"

Spencer tried to hide a smile but it wasn't working. "What if you were doing what your shirt said but not mentally."

Before you could answer the doors opened and Spencer looked at you, his eyes soft and gravitating. "Because I wouldn't mind." Then he was off, leaving you to find out how to get air back into your lungs.

You stepped out between the quickly closing doors of the elevator but before you boarded the plane your phone beeped. You pulled it out and accepted the facetime call from Penelope.

"I hope with all my glittering heart that you said yes."

You let out a breath but didn't stop the smile or the little laugh that followed. "I don't know how. He gave me his shirt and pulled the smoothest line I have ever heard in my life."

Garcia giggled and clapped her hands. "Girl that's why you need to get in that jet sit next to him and, in front of everyone, kiss his cheek and say yes."

You rolled your eyes and snorted. "Yeah right, as if."

"Wrong; what if." She winked then hung up.

You pocketed your phone before boarding. You spotted the man in question sitting in the back. You took a deep breath and sat down across from him, leaning over the divider before asking your own answering question.

"So when and where do I meet you to give you your shirt back and grab dinner."

Spencer's face lit up like New York on Christmas and answered without hesitation. "My place, six o'clock, I'll make dinner."

You leaned back and nodded, folding your arms with a rewarding whiff of his cologne on his sweater. "It's a date."

Spencer's eyes made your middle grow warm as he just stared at you with glee. "It sure is."

You smirked to yourself as the two of you stole glances at each other throughout the flight. You snorted as Rossi smacked Reid's arm to get him to pay attention to the case. But Spencer just smiled wider.

Best $20 you have ever spent.

FYI that shirt does exist. I myself just got one. $24 plus shipping. Teespring.com. You're welcome.