Victimless

You stood against your living room wall, clutching a hammer to your chest that was given to you by the very man pilfering through your house

You stood against your living room wall, clutching a hammer to your chest that was given to you by the very man pilfering through your house.  You were in pajamas and had come downstairs to grab a quick snack before retreating back into your comfy bed. But that was quickly interrupted by a loud banging at your front door. Being the curious human you were, you went to go see who it was. The moment you opened the door just a crack it was forced open, pushing you against the wall and a hammer was thrust into your hands followed by a gruff voice.

"Don't move or you'll find one of those in your head."

Shocked and utterly confused, you just stood there, watching him upturn your beautiful house. Several times you contemplated making a run for it but he would look back at you as if he knew what you were thinking. You even turned to look for a phone but he had already smashed them. He knew right where to unplug things, where to upturn your furniture to block windows and door, and where to keep you in his sights the whole time.

A chill ran up your spine.

He has done this before.

You looked down at the hammer in your hands and thought back to anything that sounded familiar on the news.  Nothing with a hammer came to mind. But...but something about nails. Three, no four people were found with nails in their heads, sitting on their couch amongst a house in shambles.

Blood drained from your face as your knuckles whitened against the hammer handle. The killer was in your house, going through your things and now you were going to be next. You looked around desperate to find something to help you. Anything.

You nearly scoffed as you looked at your hands. Duh. Fear does stupid things to your mind. You have a freaking hammer.

But before you could even think about bashing him on the head, your unwanted visitor dropped all the DVDs in his hands that he was tossing around like little frisbees and ran over to you.

He pulled out four pictures, flashing them in your face. They were the last four victims, their dead bodies shinning in the flash all with a nail in their heads. He threw them on the ground at your feet one by one as he spoke.

"Duck, duck, duck, duck," he then took the hammer pushed a button on the bottom of the handle then grabbed your hands, placing them back on the handle, "goose."

Suddenly the handle felt warm and it vibrated. You looked up at him with alarm only to be greeted with his back as he turned to leave.

"Don't let go sweetheart, or you'll be painting the walls with that cute face of yours. Let's see if they can make this a victimless crime scene." He laughed then ran out of the house.

Tears pricked your eyes as you stood there in your ruined house with a bomb in your hands and an itchy nose. You slid against the wall to the floor and let your horror-filled chest burst out in tears. Crying for only a moment you sniffed, wiped your face on your shoulders then stood up, not once letting go of the hammer.