Us

You smiled and waved at your friends as they left, the little picnic party you planned having come to an end

You smiled and waved at your friends as they left, the little picnic party you planned having come to an end. The BAU team had just finished a three-year long case where the unsub had eluded them for far too long. Thanks to persistence and a few life threatening baiting, you all got them. Therefore it was only fitting to throw a party to relieve the stress and revel in well-deserved success and happiness.

Turning you trudged up the little hill to where Spencer sat on the picnic blanket, picking at what remaining food there was. The golden hour had come and gone, the setting sun casting a warm dimming glow around you and made Spencer look like he was a lounging Lord of the land. You smirked before sitting down, leaning back on your hands and closing your eyes as you let out a sigh.

"Is it bad I suddenly feel like I have no purpose in life anymore?"

You heard a chuckle and the sound of fabric moving as you felt Spencer scoot closer. "Well, there are still over 200,000 unsolved murder cases all around the U.S. dating back to the 60's so I'm sure you can find something to do with your free time."

You laughed, peeking an eye open to see him laying on his side, leaning on his arm and facing you, his face smiling as he messed with pulled up blades of grass. Heavens, he looked good. Especially with his newly cut hair tussling in the wind as his dark eyes glowed with mirth. You smiled back, a feeling of belonging settling around the two of you.

"Thanks, Spence, I'll keep that in mind as we work the hundreds of current cases we get already."

Smiling, he shrugged one shoulder and tossed the grass blades to the side. "It is pretty interesting you happened to join us when we get this case and then leave us once we solved it."

Suddenly the chill mood immediately dropped and the warmth you felt turned numb. You could hear the expectancy in his voice. You knew you had to talk about this and you knew he was going to bring it up, being Spencer and all, but you weren't ready for it. You cleared your throat, moving from leaning back on your hands to leaning back on your elbows, keeping your eyes averted from his.

"You know I can't talk about this, Spencer." you whispered.

"Can't or won't?"

You let out a breath, looking up at the darkening sky. For three years you tried to keep your heart from forming too close of an attachment to the BAU but by the end of the year, you could have sworn you had been with them for at least five. You and Spencer grew close fast, despite your efforts to ward him off, you always found yourself yearning to be anywhere near him. Right now wasn't any different, except you wished there was some way for you to leave your past in the past.

You felt a soft pressure on your hand and your head snapped to attention, looking down at Spencer's hand covering yours. You turned your hand up so his fingers would fall in-between yours. You were suddenly aware of how close the two of you were. With a deep breath, you let out all your worries, closing your eyes to focus on his thumb rubbing your hand as you spoke.