May I (pt 3)

Spencer pulled on the straps of your bulletproof vest a bit tighter, his brows pinched and his gaze hard. You reached up and stroked the lines on his forehead away, causing him to look at you. Disregarding the other officers around the safe house about to depart for the extraction point, you let your hand fall to his shoulder, keep in there as you spoke. 

"What are you thinking?"

Spencer didn't drop his hands from the straps. "I can't help but worry that even having you around the area will trigger something inside you. Sometimes, PTSD doesn't show it's ugly head until a major, or in some cases, minor trigger spills it over. As unfortunate as it is that I know the signs of PTSD, I am not exactly sure how I will react seeing you be the one affected by it."

Your heart lurched at his soft words and worried thoughts. But just as you had resolved to set your feeling aside for Danielle in the tub the night before, it was time he did the same with you. "Spener, I want to say I will be fine but even I don't know that. But what I do know is that Danielle is scared out of her mind and in order for us to do the best we can for her we need to set our own emotions aside and focus on how to get her home safely."

Spencer's gaze softened and a corner of his lips turned up in a lazy smile. "you would fit right into the BAU."

You nearly snorted. "I don't know about that..."

Before Spencer had a chance to answer, a voice called on one of the walkie-talkies. It was that really peppy girl again. 

"Alrighty, backup crew. Hotch and the others are at the warehouse. They have all the escape routes blocked off both in the building and out on the roads."

Spencer picked up the walkie and talked back. "Did they find their location yet?"

"Sure did,"

Your eyes widened slightly and subconsciously took a step closer to Spencer, who moved the walkie between the two of you. He pressed the button but it was you who asked. 

"Where? Is she alright? Is she hurt?"

"Oh man, you sound so much better. But just hold on to your pigtails, sweetums, we only have heat signatures on them. As of right now, the drone has them pegged on the third floor in a back storage room with one way in and one way out."

You nodded, but your breathing seemed to stop. Spencer looked at you as you gazed at nothing, your mind reeling. Garcia's voice came back almost as if she knew what was going on.

"Take a deep breath, sugar, we will get her out of there all safe and sound. Promise. we have done this loads of times, sadly, so we know what we are doing. Give her a squeeze for me Spencer. Or a pat, whatever she prefers. Your glam girl it out unless I have more info. Peace."

Spencer lowered the walkie and turned to you. "Are you sure about this?"

Slowly, you brought your eyes back up to him, nodding the barest bit. Spencer afforded you a small smile, his arm reaching up and around you to gently pull you to his side. His hand patted your shoulder as you leaned into him. 

"Take another deep breath."

You did, closing your eyes, seeing Danielle's sweet face smiling at you. Safe. And unharmed. With one more shuttering breath you opened your eyes and nodded, stepping away from Spencer's half embrace, albeit reluctantly. 

Spencer gave the men around you a nod then opened one of the doors to the large black car that would take you to the warehouse. "I'll be up front. Don't hesitate to say anything if you have any questions or concerns."