Surprise

You placed your hand on your forehead, pressing gently as another wave of pain hit your temples

You placed your hand on your forehead, pressing gently as another wave of pain hit your temples. Letting out a slow breath, you blinked and shook your head before walking out onto the porch.

"All clear here," you called into your walkie-talkie as you looked over the farmhouse, JJ close behind you.

"Same here at the machinery garage. Are we sure this lead was a viable one?" Luke's voice came over sounding a bit skeptic.

JJ picked up her walkie, talking into it. "The mom said she knows these people and that this was where her son would go if anything were to happen to her."

Emily came around the corner of the house, meeting you and JJ on the front porch. "I found a truck with the keys still in the ignition. The footprints lead to the house but I assume he wasn't in there?"

JJ shook her head as you stepped forward, pointing to the house with your thumb. "Nope. Not from what we could tell. It all looks like no one has been here for a couple of months at least."

Rossi's voice came over the walkies. "Hey guys, I think we have a problem."

The three of you turned to the barn some yards away to the right. You pulled up your walkie and chimed in. "What is it?"

Spencer's voice sounded a bit out of breath. "Rossi and I checked the barn only to find someone but they took off. I tried to go after them but they disappeared in the woods."

"But as we investigated the barn further, we found another body," Rossi added.

JJ let out a breath and Emily's shoulders sagged. As helpful as it was to have more victims to help learn about the unsub it didn't make it any easier hearing about another lost life. You winced as your head throbbed again, this time a yawn following suit.

You nodded as you voiced back to them. "Alright. We are on our way. Luke, Taylor, meet us there."

You joined the rest of the team huddled inside the barn. Luke entered in with Taylor and Emily called for the forensic team. You walked over to Spencer who was sitting on a hay bale, a bottle of water in his hands.

You folded your arms as you smiled. "Are you sure you don't want to join me on my morning runs?"

Spencer shook his head as he gave you an exaggerated frown. "Yeah, I'm sure. They just so happen to have an advantage of knowing the land better than I did."

ou let out a small laugh, nodding as you took a seat next to him, your back to the open back doors of the barn. "Excuses, excuses."

"Actually, runners have more coronary plaque buildup, raising the risk factor for heart disease. Not to mention the oxidative stress and sore muscles that come with it." He shook his head giving you a small smile. "I'll risk the extra weight, thank you."