Clumsy Ninja

MarthaBelin sent in this idea. Thank you for the request. I hope it is to your liking!

You stifled a yawn as you placed your car keys by your coat rack, slamming the front door shut behind you with your foot. Working two small jobs and having a late night kickboxing class really took a toll on you. So all you could really think about was going to bed. 

You took your sweet time getting ready for bed, drying your hair with a towel as you hummed your favorite song. In a couple of days, you were going to meet up with the BAU team for lunch. It helped being Penelope's cousin and confident to get you in with a close group of friends. She couldn't help but spill the beans about you moving here and in need of friends. You didn't mind watching JJ's kids from time to time or playing Luke's date to ward off unwanted attention from an ex. And you definitely didn't mind calling Dr. Spencer Reid your best friend.

You two weren't the type to goof around together or get into trouble, it was more of like a 'hey you do your stuff while I do mine in the same room and sit in comfortable silence' type of friendship. But you knew that without a doubt that he would be there for you if you needed anything. And vis vera. Spencer was a bit more than a friend in your eyes but you weren't about to tell that to anyone. Especially Penelope, unless you wanted an early pre-planned wedding scaring the young doctor senseless. You shook your head and smirked at the idea. Marrying Spencer. Huh. Now that was something you wouldn't mind dreaming about all night.

And you probably would have had your thoughts not been interrupted by a sudden loud crashing noise in your kitchen. You froze, your little humming melody dying in your throat. There was this stray neighborhood cat that liked to roam around that had recently taken a liking to you. For the life of you, you couldn't remember if you let him inside or not when you got home. Either way, Diablo wasn't clumsy enough to make such a racket.

You left your room, calling out for him, patting your leg though you knew that did nothing for him. You looked around, the kitchen as you entered it, noting the broken potted plants by the window over the sink. You relaxed a bit. That silly cat always liked that window.  You leaned over the sink and shut the window then moved to the fridge to see if anything new happened to appear from the last time you checked it. You heard a little patter of feet and a soft meow. A smile stretched across your face as you started to relax shutting the fridge and turning to the sleek black cat perched on your counter, his bright yellow eyes staring at you.

"Hello, Diablo. You never cease to scare the crap out of me."

He meowed again. You reached out and rubbed his head as he pressed into it. You laughed lightly and reached over opening the fridge door again but with gusto, your fear banished. But a loud 'thunk' and deep voiced grunt made it all rushing back.

"AH!" You jumped back, looking down at the form sprawled on the floor. "Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap..." you mumbled as you backed up against the counter on the other side, grasping for something, anything to defend yourself.

Diablo jumped off the counter and pranced off, leaving you with what you hoped was an unconscious intruder.

"Thanks, you scaredy cat."

The man groaned and you jumped again, squeaking. Your hand grasped something and you swung it over, pointing at him in the best form of defense you could think of. A frying pan. Then an idea popped in your head; maybe it would be wise to call someone. But your phone was back up in your room. Your eyes flashed to your home phone landline and you winced. It was sitting on a little table. Right by. The unconscious. Man.

Perfect.

Inching your way closer you bit your lip. You may have been taking a kickboxing class but this was your second lesson. Per Spencer's request. Part of you wished you took a gun licensing class too. You let go of the pan handle with one hand so you could reach out for the phone as you go closer. Unfortunately for your nerves, the man groaned again, but this time moved to get up. Fortunately for your safety, you were thoroughly freaked out that you dropped the pan, right on his head.

Unsure if he was out cold but not confident enough to check, you snatched the home phone and dialed the only number you knew by heart other than our mother's.

Spencer, comfortable in his pjs and a robe, was setting down his third book of the night when he heard his phone go off. Grabbing it, he was surprised to see your name pop up but smiled as he accepted the call.

"Hey, (Y/n), what are you doing up so late?"

"Oh, you know, just trying not to freak out as I sit in my bathroom hugging a reluctant stray cat and a bottle of Windex while a man lays possibly unconscious or dead or alive or..."

Spencer stood up, his smile dropping and his heart pounding. He didn't like the sound of fear in your voice though you did a good job keeping it steady. "Wait, wait, hold on. Start from the beginning. I'm on my way."

He heard you let out a breath of relief, the sound of a distressed cat echoing in the background. "Oh my heavens, Spencer I could kiss you. See you soon."

You ended the call, leaving Spencer to wonder if you truly meant to kiss him when he got there. He started his car (only used in emergencies) and pulled out into the dark vacant streets, racing to your rescue. Spencer could not be more thankful that you had taken his advice to take kickboxing. He liked knowing you could take care of yourself if he couldn't be there for you. But that didn't mean he didn't like being there for you. He liked that very much.

He pulled up to your house, light from some of your windows spilling out onto the driveway. Spencer looked up to where your bedroom was, a faint light coming from what he assumed was your bathroom. Tugging on his night shirt and looking down at his flannel pjs, Spencer was glad he brought his bulletproof vest at least.

Pulling out his gun he carefully walked up to your house, pushing open your door after using your hidden spare key. Your fridge was open and softly beeping. Spencer could see a body laying on the ground, a frying pan laying on his face and chest. Before calling out to you he went over to the guy and kicked him to make sure he wasn't awake.

Sure enough, after a few extra kicks and no movement, Spencer lowered his gun. Quickly he cuffed the man, not wanting to take any chances as he called for you.

"(Y/n)! I'm here. It's alright, he's unconscious and cuffed."

Your eyes widened as you stood up from leaning against your bathroom door. You dropped your Windex and struggling cat, whipped open your bathroom door and rushed downstairs, jumping into Spencer's arms.

Spencer chuckled as you held him tight, loving the feel of his arms around you. You felt his head softly rest against yours while you noticed your shaking started to fade away. You pulled back a bit, grasping the front of his vest.

"Thank you. I don't know what I would have done without you."

Spencer glanced at the body behind him then turned to you, smiling slightly. "Looks like you know exactly what to do."

You shrugged a shoulder. "There are only so many times my clumsiness can save me."

Spencer searched your eyes, his hands on your arms, rubbing them lightly. "Are you sure you're alright?"

You gave him a small smile. "Yes," you whispered, "I called 911 too."

Spencer leaned down a bit closer. "Did you mean it earlier?"

"Earlier what?" You raised a brow.

"About that kiss..."

Your face warmed and you tried to look away but his eyes held you there. You took a better hold of his vest and smirked. "Sure. Why not. My man in shining," you looked down at his outfit and snorted, "flannel."

You pulled him down to you as you pressed your lips to his. The two of you easily fit against one another as your lips moved softly in unison. Spencer smiled into the kiss as he skillfully removed his vest without his lips leaving yours. You smiled back, reaching your hand up and around his neck, the two of you interlocked until the sound of police sirens called for a paused.

But spender took your hand and didn't let go, his presence next to you ever protective and kind.