I Know

So sorry I didn't have this up yesterday, I completely forgot haha my bad...

You have had to all in the BAU three times this year. Three! And it wasn't because their youngest analyst was scary hot. Thought that may have been good enough reason to call them over. Unfortunately, it was because three different serial killers thought your little down in nowhere Pennsylvania was a perfect place to hunt.

You were sitting at your desk in your Sheriff's office, your head in your hands when you heard hushed voices and the sound of people rushing about. You didn't look up as you heard the now familiar sounds of the BAU enter your facility. Dread filled your gut as you realized it was time to face the truth of the situation and work another several days on little sleep and gallons of coffee.

There was a knock on your door followed by the creaking of its opening. You slowly looked up, blinking lazily.

"I'll be there in just a moment."

"Are you alright, Sheriff?"

You opened your eyes to see Spencer Reid peeking his head in, his eyebrows pinched in worry. You blinked, shaking your head slightly as you stood.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm good."

You joined him by the door and out into the hall but still apart from the others. Spencer started walking toward them just you just stood there, staring at nothing. You shot your arm out, stopping him from leaving just yet. Not looking at him you quietly asked him something that felt so unfair to you.

"What are the odds of a town even twice this size be terrorized by two serial killers?"

Spencer turned to you, glancing back at the others before turning to look at you fully. You looked up at him, the urge to fold up into his chest suddenly coming out of nowhere. So you stuck to focusing on his beautiful face, feeling safe under his kind gaze.

"The average civilian has less than a .01% chance of being victimized. Our homicide rates have stayed pretty level at 3-5% of the world's crimes in the past four years. But the odds of three being found in the same area," Spencer shook his head then gave you a shrugging look, "nearly impossible. This has never happened before."

"That doesn't help," you whispered as your shoulders sagged. "The people are terrified.  Friends who have lived here forever are turning on each other. Even families are finding it hard to stay together. No one trusts anyone anymore." You shook your head and let out a sigh. "I just want to keep this town safe and these people happy."

Spencer looked around then took your hand before gently bringing you back into your office, closing the blinds. Satisfied that the both of you were fully alone, you watched him walk up to you, your heart fluttering. He placed his hands on your shoulders, leaning in close making you hold your breath in anticipation.

"(Y/n) (L/n), you are one of the youngest Sheriffs to ever be appointed. You have the trust of the people and the other officers believe in you. I believe in  you."

You let out your breath and moved your head to the side to look away, shaking it slightly but he followed your gaze.

"I do. Do you remember what I told you about the second killer, the trapper."

You smiled slightly, nodding. "You called me lucky, that no other officer could ever call me weak." You laughed at the memory of another officer laughing at you and your skills and Spencer stepping in. "Since then I prided myself in keeping things together. But now," you shrugged, "I fell like I'm about to fall apart. When does stress become too much?"

Without missing a beat, Spencer answered, "Romeo Vitelli said, 'According to stress pioneer Hans Selye, feelings of stress occur when our sense of homeostasis is disrupted and our body needs to draw on inner resources to restore the balance. Which is fine until the stress builds up to the point that our inner resources are exhausted and we lose the ability to cope. That is when we reach that physiological and psychological breaking point more commonly known as stress overload. It is also when we become particularly vulnerable to a wide range of physical and mental problems linked to too much stress.' But you," Spencer let his hands move from your shoulders to your neck, holding your head gingerly, "you are so strong. You have lasted this long after having to endure two other killers who took a total of seven of your people. Yet you kept the town in check and the casualties to a minimum."