May I (end)

Three years later- Danielle's high school graduation

You wrung your hands as you stood outside the large auditorium in one of the busy hallways. Despite having had this meeting planned for three years, you were still a bit nervous. Standing on your tiptoes, you tried to catch a glimpse of a girl with bright purple hair. When Danielle had texted you that she had dyed her hair with a group of friends as their "senior dare", you nearly laughed. But now you were grateful she'd be easier to spot.

Or so you thought.

With thousands of kids and parents all walking up and down the hallway, in and out of the auditorium, you wondered if you'd notice when he came.

You and Spencer had stayed in touch since the night you went with Danielle to the hospital. But you were never able to say goodbye to him, at least not properly. The team had to leave the moment the case was closed and sent to the next people to process it and jail the unsub.

Spencer had sent you a handwritten note detailing his apologizes not to say goodbye to you and that being able to see you would be difficult. But he left information about your treatments and what you would have to go through to gain your life back. It was sweet and extremely helpful, you just wished the real man was there to tell you and help you through this.

Sadly, it quickly became clear that seeing him would be all but impossible between his sporadic work schedule and your treatments and appointments.

But as thing turned out for the next few years, not being able to see him proved to be beneficial to your recovery. With the help of some distant relations and a much-needed getaway to a relaxation camp in the Alps, you were able to start living your own life again. You were even able to plan this get together.

It was Danielle's idea for you and Spencer to see her at graduation. You had seen her only a handful of times since being at her rescue and it was all during her recovery. Then it was through her parents you were able to glean how she was doing. Then after a lot of persuasion on your part, you were given Danielle's number and had started texting her. She soon felt like the little sister you never had, so coming tonight was exciting.

But nerve-wracking. You hadn't seen Spencer at all.

There, at the back of the hall, you saw seven girls all sporting variously brightly colored hair. Danielle was smiling and laughing as on girl was talking and another was signing. You couldn't help but smile at how happy she looked. It didn't take her long to notice you given the fact you wore a bright purple ribbon around our arm like she asked.

Instantly she came bounding over, jumping up to give you a hug. You laughed as you caught her and spun her around, her graduation robes flying about. You set her down and immediately the two of you started signing. It felt so good to see her at times you missed what she was saying because you were too busy looking her over and letting the fact she was alive and well sink in.

Danielle rolled her eyes and for the fifth time, she grabbed your attention again only to let out a mute squeal of excitement, her hands flying to her face and her eyes growing wide with excitement at something over your shoulder. At first, you were confused but then it made sense. She bolted around you and did a jumping hug to a man just a few feet away.

You turned fully and smiled, pressing a hand to your mouth. Unsure if Spencer knew it was you she was talking with, you just watched as he and Danielle signed back and forth, him doing a better job of paying attention than you did. His hair was short and he looked a bit more built, or perhaps it was just you. He too had a purple ribbon around his arm. He smiled easily and laughed as he signed, mouthing his words as he went along. You wondered if they had kept in contact like you did with her.