"Just Friends" (part two)

Without a second thought, the two of you walked to the man and his truck. He looked to be in his late seventies, his skin practically leather but his smile was warm and inviting, his smell exactly what you would think of an old grandpa farmer, cozy and just like him. He laughed again as he got into the truck after we got in yourselves. He looked at us through the rearview mirror, his blue eyes framed by puffy white brows.

"The name is Mitchell McClaggan. But you can call me Mitch. My wife just finished making dinner. Good thing she cooks too much."

"Thank you, uh, Mitch," you replied with halted surprise, smiling to Spencer who just shrugged with his own surprised smile.

It didn't take long for the three of you to pull up to Mitch's home. On the front porch stood who you assumed was his wife, waving and smiling like he was coming back from a long trip and not picking up two soaking wet young adults. The two of them together look just like the house, small, wide, inviting and white. You couldn't help but smile, your chest growing warm as you watched mitch get out o his car and greet his wife with a sweet kiss and a warm hug.

Spencer gently helped you out of the car, your head still making things a bit wobbly. It wasn't until the two of you were almost on the front steps of the house you realized it wasn't raining anymore but the both of you were shivering from the cold. The wife hobbled over, her hands dropping the kitchen towel around my neck in a vain attempt to stop my teeth from chattering.

"Oh, you poor, wet dears! Mitch stoke the front room fire, we need to warm them up before either of them catch cold." She looked between the two of you, her curly white hair flopping and her eyes crinkling in a kind smile. "I'm Clara McClaggan. It has quite the ring to it, doesn't it." She giggled like a little school girl as she helped us in. "If I had known we were going to have visitors I would have made some more food."

The two of you stepped into the farmhouse and you nearly fainted with how good it smelled and how cozy it looked. Taking a look at the food on the table you nearly cried at how wonderful it was with enough food to feed an army.

Spencer laughed as he angled me to the fire that Mitch just finished bringing back to life. "It looks amazing Mrs. McClaggan. I think we will be just fine."

"Clara, please," she cooed, taking the towel to dry the ends of your hair, "Wait just a moment by the fire and I will find you some of my children's old clothes I know I keep somewhere for you to change into."

Then she was off, piddling about mumbling something about being young and in love once. But you were quite positive Clara and Mitch hadn't aged a day since they married. Spencer sat next to you on the floor, covering the both of you with a quilt. You leaned into him as Mitch and Spencer started talking, the farmer asking about your jobs and how in the world you two ended up in his woods. You nearly felt yourself falling asleep right there, your head on Spencer's shoulder as his fingers combed through your hair.

Clara returned with a bundle of clothes and hurriedly you two up and into rooms to change. But your head was still bothering you. Spencer whispered something to Clara and before you could say " mashed potatoes" she had gotten you some painkillers and gently pushed you into a guest bedroom.

"Alright, sweety. Get dressed, take those, and join us for dinner." She turned to leave, her head popping in one more time. "I put your boyfriend just down the hall, so don't you worry for a minute."

"Oh we aren't-" she closed the door with a small smile and a wink, "-dating. Guh." You hung your head and let out a breath.

Quickly you got dressed and downed the pills, finally starting to feel a bit better. You left the room and followed the soft chatter of voices to the kitchen where you spotted Clara, Mitch, and Spencer already sitting down ready to eat. They were waiting for you.