On Guard

rausllyDixiechick You are up next! (I created a fake last name for ya haha) I was worried about how I was going to do this one but as soon as I started typing I couldn't stop! I know it's not exactly as you asked but all the same I hope you don't mind and you find it to your liking!

Natalia ran her fingers through her hair and puffed her cheeks, letting out a blow of air. Spencer Reid was just beaten up for the third time in the past two weeks and she was *this* close to punching someone in the face. Preferably the stupid officials who placed him in this correction facility and not in the protected one he was supposed to be in.

She stood outside the 'nurses' office where a cut on Spencer's forehead needed some taping. Once he was done and cleared, Spencer left, only giving her a nod before he left, leaving her to watch him go, her mind a bit more at ease.

Natalia had been working at this jail for nearly ten years, taking over after her father had to leave due to the injuries he had sustained while on duty. Personally, Natalia was thankful he was home with her mother because the number of threats he had been getting was starting to worry her.

But even after all her years of working here, Natalia had never, not once felt any sort of sympathy for these scumbags of the earth. That is until one of them walked in and in a heartbeat, she knew he didn't belong here.

Fear wasn't the first thing he saw in his eyes when he walked through the gate. She saw resignation and contemplation. He took everything in. Nothing scared him. He didn't look away when the gang leaders stared him down. He didn't yell, kick, or scream about how he didn't deserve this. Instead, he was quiet but his mind sure wasn't.

From that moment on, Natalia Benson knew she wanted to know what was going on in that buzzing mind of his. She knew she had to keep an eye on him. He had to be protected. But she had to make sure it wasn't too obvious.

First, she would make sure he got the cleanest linens. Second, she rearranged the chores so he didn't ever have to clean the bathrooms. It quickly became apparent that the other inmates were picking on him with new cuts and bruises showing up from time to time. So, Natalia made sure he was seen by the nurse as often as he needed. Then she used the skills she had learned while working there to schmooze her way into getting some extra food, sneaking it into Spencer's cell or on his tray.

Funny thing was she hadn't spoken a word to him. But, for some reason, Natalia felt like she didn't need to. With just one glance she could almost feel his confusion at her kindness, his gratitude, but also his warning for her to either back-off or stop completely. But she wouldn't have it. Natalia wasn't someone who gave up easily, especially on people who deserve better.

~~~~

Spencer appreciated everything Officer Benson was doing but he couldn't help but be very worried, not only for his interactions with her but what repercussions could happen to her if they were found out. He has accepted his fate. He knows he will be stuck here for a long time and though he looked forward to seeing her every day, he knew this, whatever "this" was, wasn't going to last forever.

And he planned on telling her so.

Spencer knew of a small corner in between cell blocks five and six, big enough to hold two people with enough space to stand.

He knew there was a break between shifts after dinner on Tuesdays so when Officer Benson walked by, he placed a note in her hand as she dropped a role onto his plate. Spencer had thought about passing notes to her but wasn't sure how she would react. But his fear over her safety out weighted his fear of looking like a middle schooler.

After dinner, Spencer made sure the guys around him assume he was going to the bathroom, not having a rendezvous with a cute guard. He hurried to the tucked away corner, his heart hammering. Despite all the scenarios he had imagined, Spencer's eyes widened and he gocked for a second as he spied Officer Benson standing there, her hands on her hips, her long black hair out of her usual ponytail now laid cascading down her back in a river of onyx. She was a head shorter than him but as she turned he knew that no matter how tall a guy would be, she could easily level them with her stare, her brown eyes deep and unwavering. But he watched as she recognized who he was and her eyes immediately relaxed, forming warm pools of chocolate that he would have easily lost himself in had they not been pressed for time.