Eye of the Beholder

You pressed your back against the wall, your gun locked and loaded as you closed your eyes and started counting to fifty. Luke and Emily were going around the back, the plan they had concocted not exactly settled with your mind but it wasn't like there was anything else you guys could do to flush the mob out.

There were back up teams and everything at every ground-floor exit of the building. Being as large as it was, each BAU member was given a squad to lead. Yours was designated at the east side exit, set to move in once Emily and her team cleared a path. But something didn't feel right.

Your earpiece buzzed with activity as you listened to the others get into position. Garcia pipped up, her sweet voice installing a bit more calm in your heart but not enough to put you at ease.

"Ok guys, the bomb has been set and the unsubs are bolting. You have five minutes at most, I couldn't tap into the reader before he set it. I sent the map info to you as well as a countdown clock. Good luck."

Emily called for a go and you headed in, your mind imagining the other teams closing in on the three unsubs and their "Regenerative Bomb." These crazies thought they were sent to help everyone go on to their next life. And to do that they wanted to blow up large populated areas at a time. But what they didn't know was that the BAU had already evacuated this part of town and this was going to be their first and last attempt at achieving their goal.

It was Spencer that figured out the Unsubs' plan and it was you who suggested that there may have been more than one person involved. Unfortunately, you knew one of the Unsubs, he was an old classmate of yours and you remembered he had a terrible crush on you.

Spencer pleaded with you to stay behind, worried that if the old classmate saw you that it might mess with the plan, throw in a variable they wouldn't be able to compensate for. But you were confident nothing would happen, especially since you were going in with a mask. While everyone else was going to be cornering the Unsubs, you were going to be deactivating the bomb.

But what you didn't know was that you were about to walk right into a trap.

Your breathing filled your ears as you and your team drew closer to the bomb. Everything was silent save for a sudden spurt of gunshots and the call of an Unsub down.

"Which one?" You asked.

"Davison," came Luke's reply, his voice heavy with anger. "He got one of my men."

"Stay where you are, Alvez. We are closing in." Rossi chimed in.

You weaved in and out of the office cubicles, utterly annoyed with the fact they were created like a maze from hell. Your men were too spread out for your taste and you didn't like not knowing where you were going. Then again, you didn' like where you were going, to begin with.

"Any sign of them on your end, Reid?" Emily asked

"Not yet. But I wouldn't hold my breath. (Y/n), what about you?"

You shook your head then remembered to speak. "Nope, not a thing." You turned to your team leader and he showed you how close you were to the bomb and you winced. "Ah but I'm close to the bomb. We have ten minutes. You think you can find the other two before then? I don't want to accidentally set this thing off with you guys in the building."

There were a few more shots and JJ finally spoke. "I got Travis. That leaves,"

"Gavin," you breathed under your breath as you came to a halting stop.

You had turned a corner coming to a wide-open space only to find the last Unsub standing there as if waiting for a train. Turning he sneered at you, his long hair covering his dirty face and obscuring his wild dark eyes.