1

Quinn POV

The Styles family moved in next door when I was six years old. That day is quite clear in my memory still, to this very day.

I remember sitting on my front porch with my Mom and older sister, Faith. My Mom was sipping her coffee and my sister and I were drinking lemonade that was made a few hours ago.

"Jesus," My mother muttered under her breath.

"What is it?" My sister who is eight asked her. We glance over to the new family living next to us.

"That type of family is going to make this neighbourhood seem cheap," My mom says in a low voice. I see three kids around my age or a little older walking around, grabbing boxes. There are two boys and one girl.

"How?" Faith asks. I sip my drink and look away from the new family moving in.

"I can tell already they're going to be loud and annoying neighbors. I've seen the Mom of the three kids at the diner working," She says in disgust.

I didn't understand what was wrong with working at a diner. To my Mom who owns many hotels, it was a sin.

"That's gross," Faith says through laughter. I remained silent and kept my opinion to myself.

"I never want to see you girls talk to those kids, got it?" She says seriously. My Mothers hazel eyes glance over to us.

"Of course," My sister says like it's obvious. They look to me now, waiting for my answer. I gulp down the lump in my throat and nod.

"Yeah," I say, agreeing to whatever my Mother wants me to. I don't need to start an argument over nothing.

"It's a good thing we're expanding the house soon. I don't want to seem as common as them." She mumbles while shaking her head.

Those are the last words my Mom says before walking back inside our home. Faith and I soon follow her. I follow timidly though.

I don't see the new neighbours as bad people, if I'm being honest. I don't know them, but they look happy and kind. I don't know why my Mom thinks other wise.

Sitting on my front porch eleven years later has given me a different perspective on the Styles family.

They're loud, messy, and quite annoying. Their grass in the front has weeds and looks un-mowed. Toys from the many little kids living there are scattered across the grass, which makes me cringe a little. And the outside of their split ranch looks dirty and needs to be power washed.

I take my eyes off of their house once I see a little boy and girl go outside. They look around five and seven maybe. My Mom would never let us go outside alone that young. If my sister and I did we would get yelled.

Well, then again it's the Styles household we're talking about.

All I'm saying is that I'm glad in the backyard we have a big fence to block them out. I'd get uncomfortable seeing their messy backyard while I sit in my clean one.

I see an older boy exit their house. His name is Harry I believe, and he's in my grade and has a rep at school for being "mysterious". I don't think he is though, what's there about him that makes him different? His family life? His old truck?

I chuckle to myself and shake my head.

I stand up from my front porch and head back inside. I can only look at their house for so long without feeling overwhelmed by how dirty it is.

A://N

Small first chapter I'm sorry

I'm very excited for this book :)

Comment ???

Vote ???

~Lauren