Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Annie Pov.

Today is the games. I'm actually interested this year, these tributes from twelve seem like they could be victors. Which would be a nice change considering districts one, two, and four win almost every year. Mainly two. I wake up with Finnick next to me.

"We don't have to mentor this year," he reminds me.

"That's right. We have free time to ourselves." I smile.

The phone rings and he picks it up quickly, like he didn't want me to answer it...

"Hello?" he asks. "Yea, uh, just give me a minute I'll be over soon. Okay, bye." he hangs up.

"Who was that?" I ask.

"A game-maker, he wants to tell me about the quell next year. He wants to make it look similar to district four." he lies, I can see it all over his face.

"You're lying to me."

"No, I'm not." liar.

"Yes, you are. I knew you've been lying! I knew you were lying! I forced myself to believe you. I should've listened to my gut! Who was that on the phone and where are you going?" I ask, demanding an answer.

"Annie, I can't-" he starts.

I cut him off, "what you can't tell me? That seems to be an excuse you rely on a lot. I sometimes wonder if you can tell me, you just choose not to." I start crying without realizing it, that happens a lot now. My emotions are all mixed up even though I am sad right now. "I'm so tired of this. I want the truth. I can't get it though. Even if Snow was killed tomorrow, I bet you wouldn't tell me everything." I walk out of the room, still in my pajamas.

I go upstairs, and sit on the roof. Staring at the ledge, wanting to escape all of life's problems. I just cry, and cry. I don't think I'm even up there for two minutes. Finnick comes up.

"Want to tell some more lies, Finnick?" I ask.

"Annie, I hate lying to you,"

"Then why do you do it? I don't care what they do to me. They can't kill you, if they did, the Capital would probably rebel. I don't care what happens to me. I rather be able to trust you and be in a little danger, then not trust you and be safe." I tell him.

"Annie are you crazy?" he asks.

"Technically, yes I am." I answer sarcastically.

"No I mean, you might not care what happens to you, but I do." he walks over to me and puts his hands on my shoulders. "If they hurt you, I wouldn't have anything to live for. Which is why I lie and keep secrets. I can't lose you, ever. And I'm sorry that it takes this to protect you, but one day, you'll know the truth. I'll find a way so that you can trust me."

"So what, you're going to kill Snow?" I ask.

"If that's what it takes." he grins.

"I'm sorry, that I keep bringing this back up. I just, I love us being together so much. I don't want lies to mess it up." I tell him.

"Annie, I think you and I both know that nothing, will ever separate us." he says and hugs me.

"I know." I whisper. When we're done hugging he kisses me. We go downstairs to watch the games.

The girl from twelve runs, no alliances. Not even the boy that said he loves her. She finds a tree to sleep in, where she's completely hidden. I wonder what weapon she needs. I want to sponsor her right now.

"Hey Finn," I say, he looks over at me. "Would it be bad if I sponsored someone from twelve?"

"No, Daniel just died and Sandy is in the career pack." he tells me.

"What should I send her?" I ask.

"Wait till' she needs it." he suggests.

I nod my head. I go to sit next to him on the couch.

"I've been meaning to ask you if, are you scared at all about what Snow might do to you if we get married."

"I'm not scared, remember I told you, he's not my biggest fear," he points to the TV screen, "that's not my biggest fear. Not being with you for the rest of my life, that's my biggest fear."

I hug him, even though I think we're both a little afraid of what Snow might do if he found out.