Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Finnick Pov.

We go to the reaping, I'm not worried about getting picked, I don't care if I'm picked, I care if Annie's picked. She can't go back. She already suffers from what the games did to her the first time, I can't imagine what would happen to her if she went back in. I throw on a tight white crochet sweater. Annie also puts on a long white crochet sweater. We both wear some jeans. We get there and I stand on the stage next to Xavier and Nixon. Annie stands closest to Pearl with Mags and Kim next to her.

"Welcome, to the seventy fifth hunger games," Pearl starts I look over at Annie whose already crying. "As usual, ladies first," she makes her way to the bowl. She gasps before reading the name on the paper. "Annie Cresta"

Annie cries more and I'm trying to hold back my tears. Then the craziest, but sweetest thing happens. Mags raises her hand, signaling to us that she volunteers. She hugs Annie who is still bursting into tears. This whole situation is too much for her to handle.

"And now, for the boys," Pearl walks to the other bowl. My heart races. She sighs before reading the card "Finnick Odair."

Annie can't even hold herself together. She just keeps crying. I hug Mags and kiss her head to thank her for volunteering. We don't get to say our goodbyes, but all the people I would want to say goodbye to are on the train with me. It's still weird to me that we don't get to say goodbye though. As soon as the cameras are gone and we're on the train I try to calm Annie down.

"Annie, I'll make it back, I will do everything I can to," I start.

"Finnick, they have no problem killing people, they've all done it before, they are all going to go after you. You can't make promises that you might not be able to keep." she tells me.

"Annie, I'm still going to try."

"I know you are, but it's not an arena with a bunch of little kids, they're all adults, they all know how to kill people." She pauses for awhile and then adds, "I want to spend the rest of this trip with you, and only you."

I hug her. "I can make that happen."