Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Annie Pov.

I wake up and Finnick is gone. I don't know why, but then I remember he probably has to get ready for the tribute parades. I see flowers and a note on the foot of my bed.

"Don't freak out, I'm just getting ready for the parade."

I laugh at the note. I go to breakfast with everyone else except Mags. I go back in my room after that.

------------------------------

Finnick Pov.

"Could I have some more coverage, please?!" I look at myself in the mirror, there's only a net draped over me.

"Do you want sponsors?" Annie (my stylist) asks.

"Yes but not this way!" I yell.

"I know what I'm doing Finnick." she says.

I remember that Haymitch wants me to introduce myself to Katniss. I forget about the normal me. I turn into Finnick Odair, the guy that the Capital can't get enough of. I'm personally tired of Finnick Odair.

I grab a handful of sugar cubes. I come up behind Katniss who is grooming her horse. She turns her head, seeing my face inches away from hers.

"Hello, Katniss." I say casually. Even though I've never met her in person.

"Hello, Finnick." she plays along.

"Want a sugar cube?" I hold out my hand to her. "They're supposed to be for the horses but who cares? They got years to eat sugar whereas you and I.. well if we see something sweet we better grab it quick."

She seems lost in thought, trying to think of what to say next. "No, thanks, but I'd love to borrow your outfit sometime, though."

"You're absolutely terrifying me in that getup. What happened to the pretty little-girl dresses?" I ask, her outfit makes her look scary and kind of deadly.

"I outgrew them," she responds shortly. I'm probably getting on her nerves. Too bad.

"It's too bad about this quell thing, you could have made out like a bandit in the Capital, jewels, money, anything you wanted." I tell her. Even though I don't mean it, I'm just acting like the Capital's version of me.

"I don't like jewels, and I have more money than I need, what did you spend all yours on anyway, Finnick?" she asks.

"Oh, I haven't delt with anything as common as money in years," I say.

"Then how do people pay for the pleasure of your company?" she asks.

"With secrets," I tell her. "What about you, girl on fire? Have any secrets worth my time?"

I already have so many secrets, I've realized it doesn't matter if I have any more.

She's blushing, even though I know she doesn't like me. "No I'm an open book, everyone seems to know my secrets before I know them myself."

"Unfortunately, I think that's true." I smile. "Peeta is coming, sorry you have to cancel your wedding. I know how devastating that must be for you." I toss another sugar cube in my mouth.

I walk away. I get into the chariot with Mags who shakes her head at my outfit.

"What?" I ask. "It's not like I get to pick what I wear."

She nods her head understandingly.

The chariot moves and I see the fire from behind me. The entire crowd chants Katniss's name.