Chapter 3

ALEXIS

Damn. Check out mate! He's hot! Look at those arms.

I mentally rolled my eyes at my wolf's drooling. She was pretty much rolling around and purring while I maintained eye contact with my mate.

He had beautiful gray eyes –with a few black specks in them– and silky black hair that he brushed to the side. I could almost feel how soft his hair was. He was basically breathtakingly handsome. On top of all that, as my wolf so graciously pointed out, he had very muscular arms underneath that navy blue hoodie.

Guys in hoodies. My weakness. There was just something about that that was so attractive.

"Lexi! Awe you having a stawing contest! Can I play?" 

My eyes snapped to little Rex, who was climbing a barstool and glaring at me. I was confused for a moment before realizing that he was trying to have a staring contest with me.

"How about we do that after lunch, Rex?" I said, reaching over and putting him back on the ground. He shrugged and ran over to the kitchen table where I had put the first batch of cookies. 

I turned my attention back to my mate and swallowed. 

How did this work exactly? Was I supposed to wait until he said something? Should I go shake his hand? What if he thought I was creepy? 

Just shut up and go kiss him. 

Then he would definitely think I was creepy. 

My wolf snorted and shook her fur out. At least I have an idea of what to do. Do you have any, your highness?

I pursed my lips and tried to ignore the lump in my throat. 

Why doesn't life prepare us for these situations? 

Finally, I found the courage to take a few steps forward and stick my hand out for him to shake. It was probably better to start simple. 

"Hey, I'm Alexis," I smiled, mentally wishing I could slap myself for that awkward introduction. My wolf seemed to agree because she was covering her eyes with her paws and shaking her head.

I waited for a few seconds for him to shake my hand before pulling it back slowly and coughing awkwardly. 

Was my greeting really that bad?

My mate seemed to snap out of whatever daze he was in and walked away without another look or a word. I frowned and watched him sit down at the table to play with Rex, causing my wolf to whimper at his lack of acknowledgment. His Beta and Gamma gave me sympathetic looks before joining their Alpha at the table. 

 I slowly turned back to the stove to finish cooking the fried chicken I had abandoned.

It felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest and crushing my soul. I had been waiting for my mate for three years, ever since I turned twenty. All my friends had found their mates within six months of turning twenty, and I became that awkward third-wheel whenever we did stuff together. I couldn't have felt more lonely these past three years and now it seemed like I was most likely about to have a future by myself.

"Hey Princess," 

I took a deep breath and turned to my dad with an artificial smile, "Hey dad. Sorry, I ditched. I realized that I had left my cookies in the oven once we reached the hill." 

He chuckled and kissed my hair, "It's fine, sweetie. You didn't miss much, but did you get a chance to meet the Alpha and his commanders?"

"Uh, no, not really. I was in here for the most part." I muttered quietly, pulling out the last pieces of chicken and moving them to the side.