Chapter 38

I rewrote this chapter twice. I just wasn't satisfied with it so that's why it's late :(

I don't remember if I ever showed you guys a pic of Lacey but there she is ^

LACEY  (The day after she called Alexis)

I bit back a groan as I stabbed myself with the needle again.

I suddenly remembered why I would always feign sickness whenever I was invited to these stupid sewing meetings. My fingers would always have more holes than the cloth had stitches.

But unfortunately, these meetings were the only place where you could find out all the juicy gossip. These old women had nothing better to do than talk about everyone and everything, which was perfect for the little investigation I had going on.

"So Lacey, how's your nana? Is she enjoying life in the human town?"

When I had left the mountains with Brielle, I told everyone we were making our annual visit to my nana, who lived across the country in a small town. Now, that wasn't a complete lie because I was planning on visiting my nana except I wasn't going to come back.

But, needless to say, all of my plans came to a halt when I found Matthew.

I let out a quiet sigh, feeling my heart throb at the thought of him. He was so perfect, and then there was me.

"Lacey?"

My head snapped up, "What?"

The lady whose name I had forgotten cocked her head, "Your nana, how is she?"

"She's great, ma'am. Still sewing up a storm," I grinned, lying through my teeth.

The woman nodded, "Of course. Her needle is almost an extension of her arm. I'm sure Brielle will learn sewing in no time. Oh, I must tell you how wonderful it is that little Brielle wanted to stay back with her nana. Nowadays, these young ones don't have time for us old people."

Was she calling me old? I was nearly fifty years younger than her!

"Well, Brielle did get very close with Nana. Especially after Mom and Dad died," I said, sucking on my bleeding finger.

The woman shook her head in pity, "I can't imagine how it is for you two. When I was your parents' age, there was no such thing as mistresses or cheating. Everyone was loyal to one another."

I pursed my lips, "Must have been nice."

"It was," she sighed, "It really was. No illegitimate children to worry about. No surprise half-siblings to drop on your children....speaking of which, have you seen any of your half-siblings after you came back?"

The moment the words left her mouth, I knew she was just looking for gossip and didn't genuinely care because she knew I didn't get along with my half-siblings.

I mentally rolled my eyes as I felt her eyes try to pierce through the top of my head as if she wanted to look into my thoughts and see if anything good was there.

Little did she know, the only good things she would find were the half-naked images of Matthew embedded into my brain.

Those memories were hard to forget when the man completely rocked the shirtless with sweatpants look.

"No, I haven't seen them, ma'am and I hope I won't either."

She nodded slowly and turned back to her sewing as if she got all the information she needed.

I put my sewing down and sighed at the sight of my red thumb. It was probably best to call it a night before I lost all sensation in them.

I got up and stretched my arms when two women whispering frantically in the corner caught my attention. They kept looking around like they didn't want anyone to eavesdrop, which obviously meant that I should go listen in.