Chapter 18

ALEXIS

The next morning, Hudson woke us up at three again and made us set out to what I had thought was my pack. 

Apparently, we were taking a detour to the Riveter Pack so Hudson could check on his pack members and borders. 

"So what's your pack like?" I asked Boston as he stared at a map seriously.

My favorite thing about Boston was that he took his job as a Gamma very seriously. One of the pack warriors told me that there were two sides to him and that if he ever showed his dark side he could beat the shit out of the strongest warrior they have other than Matthew and Hudson.

"First of all, it's huge. We have about five hundred people in our pack, from refugees to transfers. The pack is divided into five sections and each section has a Delta to watch over them, so if there are any issues then they won't have to run to Hudson every single time. Hudson only interferes if the problem becomes too big or if the Delta asks him to do so."

"So does Hudson issue out punishments often?"

"Hudson doesn't issue out the punishments, Matthew does. it's one of his duties as Beta. But our pack members are pretty good, they don't like trouble and they definitely don't like getting into trouble."

"That's good."

I was going to ask him more questions when Hudson stopped walking in front of us. I nearly slammed into him, but I managed to stop right in front of his back. He turned around and glared at Boston, "You're supposed to be looking at the fucking map and making sure we're going the right way."

Boston blinked and raised an eyebrow amusedly, "Gee twinkle toes, what's got your panties twist?"

Hudson narrowed his eyes darkly at him and grabbed my hand, tugging me forward. His gaze turned to me, and his eyes softened, "If you have questions about my pack, ask me."

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Okay?"

Suddenly, he sped up and dragged us ahead of the group so we were visible but out of earshot. It was like he wanted us to have privacy.

"Do you have any more questions? Or do you want to continue our game from last night?"

I paused. He actually acknowledged last night, which surprised me since he got up like nothing happened. 

"Sure, we can continue our game," I said, fidgeting with my backpack strap.

The corners of his mouth twitched a little before he asked me, "How did you find out you could heal?"

"When I was five, I was training with Sasha and accidentally slashed her arm with my claw. My hand already had a cut on it so when I touched her arm to check on her slash, my blood started glowing and her cut healed. We freaked out so much before we ran to my dad and told him what had happened."

He chuckled, "I can't imagine your dad's reaction. His little girl in pigtails suddenly has one of the greatest gifts someone could ever wish for."

My eyes bore into the side of his head, studying the stubble on his face, "How did you know I used to wear pigtails?"

"Your mom really likes putting pictures up on the wall."

I mentally face-palmed. Of course, my mom had several pictures of me and Neville scattered across the walls. 

"There's no reason to feel embarrassed. My mom won't pass up the opportunity to show you my baby pictures and tell you about every stupid thing I've done as a kid."

I smiled, "Were you a troublemaker?"

"Yep."

I couldn't imagine this brooding guy beside me being a mischevious little kid. He must have had one hell of a transformation.