Chapter 37

I'm so sorry. I have a bad habit of sleeping in the middle of writing. 

ALEXIS 

My heart dropped to my stomach.

Next week? The griffins were attacking next week?

I didn't know what to think. Were we even prepared for this? 

A wave of fear and dread washed over me as I thought about all the innocent wolves that would be involved. We couldn't let anything happen. I wasn't about to let any wolf die because of me. 

I heaved a sigh, "Lacey? Do you know anything else about this attack?"

"Well, someone mentioned that–" Her voice cut off suddenly and a deafening sound echoed from the phone. I flinched and stood up, quickly clicking the end button on the call. 

Seriously? Right when we were getting information?

I tried dialing the number again, but the line didn't go through. 

Hudson let out a roar and slammed his fist against his desk, sending a crack through the wood. He dropped his head against it and exhaled quietly, "I can't–we can't–our pack–"

I placed my hand on his curled-up fist and squeezed it, "We need to calm down. If we freak out, we're not going to be able to think straight."

He huffed and yanked me into his lap again, burying his face into the crook of my neck. I ran my fingers through the strands of his hair and felt the tension in his shoulders slowly disappear.

My wolf let out a whimper and started pacing in her head, fear taking over her mind as well. 

Must protect pack. Must protect pack.

I pursed my lips and closed my eyes, trying to send a feeling of reassurance up to her and Hudson. A few seconds later, a pair of warm lips pressed against my cheek.

"Get your dad on the line and go grab Breydon and Boston. I'll mind-link all my Deltas. I'm setting the pack on lockdown. Do you think you can do a ground check with Lucy and Devin in ten minutes?"

"I can do that, but what about Matthew?"

"We're leaving him out of this for now. He's not in the right state of mind to be making decisions."

"But Hudson, he should know about Lacey."

Hudson sighed, "If he isn't busy sulking, I know he'll come to me with questions once he hears my announcement. I'll tell him about her then. Just head over to the boardroom once you're done with the ground check. Alright?"

"Got it," I kissed his cheek and raced out of his office. As I slipped my sneakers on, a connection popped up in my head and Hudson's commanding voice rang in my ears.

All pack members are under lockdown. You are not allowed to leave the grounds unless you have permission or instruction to do so. All pack warriors will be taking up day and night shifts on the pack borders. Any violation of these rules will result in severe punishment.

I snorted a little despite the seriousness of the situation. He sounded like a school principal who wouldn't let the students leave campus.

I shifted into my wolf and leaped down the stairs. Usually, I would shift outside, but I wasn't in the mood to leave my clothes in a pile somewhere and spend ten minutes trying to find them again.

Lucy and Devin were already shifted and outside the house when I opened the door. I barked to them in greeting and open the mind-link between us.

Devin, how about you take sectors one and two. Lucy and I will cover sectors three, four, and five.