Chapter 9

ALEXIS

"She'll be fine, Alpha Horris. I know it has been two days since she fell unconscious, but this is completely normal for a female who has just gone through a vigorous heat cycle. She'll wake up soon."

"Nigel, I hear you, but this is my pup we're talking about. My mate and I can't stand to see her like this. It's worrying us to death that there's some other reason she isn't waking up."

"She's just exhausted, Alpha, believe me. Those heat cycles are vicious."

The voices got louder with every moment that passed and not because they were talking loudly, but because I was being pulled from my state of unconsciousness and back into the real world.

I furrowed my eyebrows and cracked an eye open to stare at the white wall.

Was I in the hospital? Moon Goddess, how bad was my heat?

I let my other eye open and glared at the wall.

Why was everything so bright? 

A groan escaped my lips as my eyes fluttered close to avoid the brightness of the room. It felt like someone took a flashlight and shined it in my eyes.

"Alexis,"

There was a soft patter of footsteps before a warm hand cupped my cheek.

"Sweetie, can you hear me?" 

I didn't realize that heat cycles were supposed to make you lose your hearing. 

With a great effort, I opened my eyes just a sliver and stared at my dad, who looked like he was about to cry.

"Dad," I croaked, coughing at the dryness of my throat. He quickly reached over and grabbed a cup from the bedside table.

"Here," He said softly, helping me up. I guzzled down the water gratefully and cleared my throat once again. Two cups of water later, I finally felt a little better and sighed in relief. At least my throat didn't feel like I swallowed a bunch of thorns.

My dad placed the cup on the bedside table and ran his fingers through my hair, "How are you feeling?"

As soon as the words left his mouth, I suddenly felt a wave of exhaustion rush over me. I knew that if I took the chance to stand up, I would pretty much fall over. My limbs felt like jelly. 

"Tired," I whispered, closing my eyes at the pounding in my head, "And hungry."

He gave me a sad smile, "I know, sweetie. I mind-linked your mom. She should be here with some food any minute now. You just need to take it easy for a few more days."

I nodded slowly and closed my eyes again. My eyelids felt like they weighed a thousand pounds. 

"Oh Alexis,"

Oh Moon Goddess. My mom was here.

I mentally braced myself as she fussed over me like I was a child– checking my temperature, my pulse, my tongue. I had no idea why she was doing half the things she was, but apparently, they were important. Every time I moved, she would tell me to sit still so she could finish her check-up.

Meanwhile, I was wondering where the doctor was and why my mom was checking me instead. 

"Dear, the doctor will come see her shortly. You're being overdramatic. Now, let the poor girl eat. She hasn't had any food in two days."

My mom froze, and I gave my dad a sympathetic look. He was done for.

"What did you say?" My mom growled, "I'm overdramatic? My pup has passed out for two days and I can't even look her over to see if she's okay! Horris, how dare you."