Chapter 30

ALEXIS

"So, how long do heat cycles last for werewolves?" Lacey asked, helping me fluff some pillows. I sighed in exhaustion, "Three days. I'm on my second day."

"Is it bad?" She asked worriedly, probably wondering how she was going to manage. After all, she was supposed to start her cycle tomorrow.

"It's just tiring. As long as you're with your mate, you should be fine. And stay away from unmated males."

"Duly noted."

After we finished, I collapsed onto the sofa with a groan and glared at the clock. Hudson had left a few minutes ago to welcome Alpha Breydon to the pack, and I was already feeling the effects of the heat cycle. My stomach was feeling uneasy and my abdomen was starting to hurt from the cramps. There was even a light layer of sweat on my forehead and neck.

I made up my mind that before my next heat cycle, I would make Hudson mark me. There was no way in hell that I was going to go through another cycle. It took up so much energy even if I didn't do anything but lay around. 

Besides, I think we were ready for the next stage....sort of.

 I knew Hudson was still keen on making it up to me, but he could make it up to me by marking me so I wouldn't go through this torture again. 

"So how are you and Matthew doing?" I asked Lacey, who sat on the recliner seat across from me. Her cheeks turned a light shade of pink as she picked at her chipping nail polish, "This whole mate thing is surreal. Griffins don't have mates, they pick whoever they want to be with like regular humans. The only issue is that most have an issue with commitment."

Before I could ask what she meant, she let out a quiet sigh and glared at the carpet, "My dad had four mistresses."

My mouth fell open, "Four mistresses? What about your mom?"

She snorted, "She had two of her own affairs before she died. My parents loved each other, but obviously not enough to be loyal to one another. The only time I've seen them act like a couple was after Brielle was born. She brought them together in a way."

My heart hurt for Lacey. I couldn't imagine growing up in a family where the parents had affairs with several other people. It must have been traumatizing. I was lucky that werewolves had mates so the likeliness of someone cheating was extremely low. 

"Does Brielle remember them?" I asked quietly. She shook her head, "They died in a car accident right after she turned two. I told her that they went to heaven and were watching over her from there."

I nodded and bit my lip, "Lacey, I don't know what to say. I just–"

"It's fine, you don't need to say anything." she cut me off gently, "It just feels good to talk to someone about my life. Part of the reason I ran away was because there was no one there for me to talk to. I was pretty lonely. I just wanted a fresh start where I could meet someone and fall in love knowing that they were going to be loyal to me and committed to our relationship."

"Looks like you've finally found that someone," I grinned, running my fingers through my hair. She closed her eyes and let out a dreamy sigh, "And he's incredibly sweet. I don't give a fuck if I met him just yesterday, it feels like I've known him my whole life." 

Suddenly, the front door opened and Hudson stormed into the living room angrily, "That fucking egotistic bastard. I'm going to kill him before the day is even over."

Well then, the welcome parade had obviously not gone well. 

"What did he say?" I asked, sitting up so Hudson could sit next to me.