Chapter 19

ALEXIS

"And this is a picture of when he didn't want to wear his clothes so he ran around in his diaper. He was a such a stubborn baby," Dorothy rambled, pointing at the picture of Hudson.

I smiled and stared at the chubby baby. He was so adorable with his head covered in black curls and his lips shaped into a small pout.   Dorothy seemed to love taking pictures of every new thing her kids did. There were pictures from the first time Hudson sneezed to the first time he went to the bathroom by himself. It was a good thing Hudson was busy making rounds in his pack or else I was pretty sure he would have dragged me out before his mom could show me all these pictures.

The front door opened and shut loudly which made Dorothy leap up from the barstool and scramble to hide the album behind some plants. Hudson walked into the kitchen and raised an eyebrow at the scene in front of him.

"What, no baby pictures?" He asked casually, walking toward the fridge. Dorothy winked at me and shook her head innocently, "No sweetie, I couldn't find the album."

Hudson turned around and popped open his can of beer, "Good. That album needs to be burned and if I find it, that's what I'll do."

I pursed my lips to keep from laughing and ran my fingers through my hair, feeling slightly self-conscious when Hudson just stared at me.

Dorothy cleared her throat and stood up, "Well, I'm going to go fold the laundry. Let me know if you two need anything."

I gave her a kind smile as she patted my back gently and rushed out of the kitchen like it was on fire. 

Why did I get the feeling she was trying to get Hudson and I alone?

"Do you want to go see the packhouse?" 

My head turned back to Hudson, who was placing the opened can of beer back into the fridge. 

"Uh, sure."

I stood up and froze when I realized that I hadn't showered and probably smelled really bad– not the first impression I wanted his pack members to have of me.

"Or maybe some other time. I stink right now," I muttered, sitting back down slowly. Hudson frowned and walked over to me, grabbing my hand gently and pulling me up gracefully.

"I don't think you smell bad."

I gave him a flat look, "You don't count. You're my mate. I could roll around in dirt and garbage for some time and you would still think I smell nice."

"I think you smell nice," a new voice interjected. Our heads turned to Bradley, who had a wide smirk on his face. Bradley seemed to be a good mix of Dorothy and Lewis, unlike Hudson, who looked completely like Lewis, and Lucy, who looked very much like Dorothy. 

I noticed that he didn't have his cane, but it was probably because he knew where everything was in his house. Although, without his cane, it was hard to tell that he was blind because his eyes moved as though he was taking in his surroundings. However, when he was up close, the fogginess in his gray pools gave away that he wasn't looking around.

Bradley sat down in my old seat slowly and sniffed the air, "You smell like honey-suckles. It's quite refreshing honestly. Some of the she-wolves here like to spray those floral perfumes all over."

I laughed quietly, "Don't floral perfumes smell nice though?"

"Not if they swim in the scent," Hudson muttered, "Bradley, I'm going to show Alexis the packhouse, did you need anything?"

"Nope, I just came here to annoy you, but since you're busy I'll just come back later. Just don't christen the packhouse dining table or something. People still use those."