10.

"Close your mouth baby girl. Something might fly in."He chuckled and stood up in front of her. "You're not happy to see me happy to see me baby?"Amaru asked.

"Oh god. You've got to stop doing this. I know you're not here."She sighed and wiped her eyes.

He walked up to her and grabbed her by the waist. "This real life baby. You ain't dreaming nomore."He chuckled and kissed her on the cheek. "You weren't dreaming last night either."

"Oh my god. Oh my god."She breathed heavily and jumped into his arms. She kissed him multiple times before jumping out of his arms to slap him.
"Where the hell have you been?"She yelled and pushed him away her. 

"Baby listen, I can explain."Amaru replied, grabbing her hand.

"I'm listening."She replied placing a hand on her hip.

"Don't touch me."She added, slapping his hand away from her.

"Look. I-" "Why would you leave us like that? Why would you leave me?"She interrupted him.

"Baby...let me explain. I left for your protection. For our family's protection, I didn't want anything to happen to you guys."He explained, grabbing her once again.

"What do you mean?"She asked, squinting her eyes at him.

"He said he would kill you and our kids. I didn't want that. I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that happened to you and it was my fault."He sighed

"Who?"Damita asked.

"Carl. He got upset when we didn't sell to him. He started following me and threatening me. He said he wanted to get even. I told him to take me instead, because I wanted you safe even if he was going to kill me himself. It hurt me to leave you, but it would have hurt me even more knowing you weren't living anymore."He explained, kissing her hand.

"So why didn't you come back? What took you so long."She sighed and sat down on his lap.

"He told me if I tried to find you he would pimp you out, and make me watch."He explained. "That shit pissed me off, so every since that day I start thinking about how I was going to leave there and come back to you."

That last statement made Damita uncomfortable. She didn't know what to say.

"So how is everyone?"Amaru asked.

"Well the kids are great. Amaru is playing basketball. Aaliyah's running track and Amari is in college. I think she's pre-med."Damita replied.

"What about everyone else?"Amaru asked.

"Well, uh. I don't really now."She answered, playing with her fingers. "Things have been so difficult since you left."She sighed and laid her head on his shoulder.

"What happened?"Amaru asked, wrapping his arms around her waist.

"I don't even know where to start."She laughed. "That night they called me to the hospital and they waited a while to call me because they thought I was missing. You know because you were in my car."She replied.

"So what happened when you got there?"Amaru asked.

"They told me you were dead and I almost had a heart attack. It took almost 5 people to carry me out of there. They had to drag me out."She laughed lightly. It was good that she could finally laugh about it.

"After they told me you were gone, I took a couple of pills. I drank lots of alcohol and I showed up to your funeral upset because nobody told me. When I got there these men were waiting for me in a truck. Katherine set it up and nobody helped. Everyone just watched while they forced me in their truck."

"Where did they take you?"Amaru asked.

"West Oaks Mental Facility. I stayed there almost two years and nobody but Angie and your mom visited me. Nobody else came and nobody checked on me when I was home. So after that I just kind of stayed to myself."She continued to explain.

"I'm sorry that happened to you baby. If I could have stayed and let our life continue on the way it was going I would have. I've missed you so much and now we have all this time to make up for it."He smiled and moved her hair out of her face then kissed her.

"You know we'll be celebrating 25 years next month?"Damita smirked and bit her lip.

"Is it too early to celebrate?"He smiled and picked her up, sitting her on the desk.

"Oh it's never to early daddy."She whispered and kissed his lips.  "But..we can't do it here. Not in my office. I can't get as loud as I want. I'll tell you what, I usually leave here around 12:00. Take my keys and goto the house and pick me up in two hours."She whispered in his ear then kissed him up and down his neck.

"Sounds good to me, but let me warm you up before I leave."He chuckled then sat both of his hands on her butt and kissed and sucked all over her neck.

She grabbed him and kissed him one more time before pulling away.

"Alright baby. I will see you in a couple of hours."She giggled then kissed him on the cheek. It was like they didn't miss a beat. It was almost as if 15 years hadn't passed by.

She watched him walk out of her office then opened her laptop to finally try to get some work done.

"Mrs.Shakur may I speak with you for a moment?"Ava asked, walking into her office.

"What is it?"Damita asked.

"I thought about what you said earlier and I wanted to know if you could help me become better. You know, kinda like you."Ava shrugged.

"Your goal is not to be like me. The goal is to become a better you, for you. Not to impress me or just so I could consider you for partner. When you change for the wrong reasons things will not work in your favor."Damita explained, still looking down at her computer.

"So how did you get to where you are now?"Ava asked.

"It took awhile. After many years off, starting over lots of time and the motivation from my children. It came natural after that. My husband always told me that I should start my own firm. It took awhile, but I did it."She shrugged.

"All I can tell you is, stay focused and try not to bring your attitude to work with you."Damita winked.

"Thank you so much."Ava smiled and walked out.

That's was the kindest conversation they'd had since Damita hired her.