17

"Good morning, Mrs.Shakur."Ava smiled as Damita opened the door.

"Good morning."Damita replied, cheerfully. "I'm glad that you're on time."

Ava was surprised to see her so cheerful and smiling. She was usually so stiff and cold at the office. This was her first time seeing her in a non-professional setting. Her hair was pulled up into a high ponytail where her curls fell down on her forehead. Her face was clear of any makeup and she had on lounging clothes.

"We're going in the kitchen. My husband won't be able to focus in the living room. He'll be watching tv."Damita chuckled and playfully rolled her eyes.

"I know how that goes. My fiancé is the same way."Ava laughed awkwardly. She had to adjust to Damita being so nice to her. She wasn't used to it.

"Oh you're engaged? I had no idea."Damita replied. "Do you want anything to drink before we start?"

"No ma'am. I'm fine."Ava replied with a smile.

Damita sat down on the other side of the table so that they were face to face.

"Okay, so before we get into everything I need to know the situation so I can know what I'm with."Ava started and Damita told her what happened from start to finish.

"We're pressing attempted murder charges and suing for emotional damages."Damita said, closing the story. "I wrote down the names of everyone who was there. I haven't asked them if they would testify yet."

"I don't even think we need them yet. The first day of court, only the two of you will need to be here. They're going to ask about your personal relationship to Defendant. But I still need you to ask so we can prepare everyone to get on the stand."Ava explained.

"Mommy did you make breakfast?"Aaliyah asked, walking into the kitchen.

"Well, good morning to you too."Damita laughed and Aaliyah came over to hug her. "I'm sorry. Goodmorning Mommy."She smiled and kissed her on the cheek.

"I haven't made any breakfast, but I'll make you some in a bit. I thought you guys were going to sleep a little later."She explained, kissing her daughter on the cheek.

"Ava, this is my daughter Aaliyah. Aaliyah, this is Ava. She'll be working on Amaru's case."

"Hi."Ava smiled and Aaliyah spoke back.

"Tell your daddy to come down here please?"Damita asked and Aaliyah nodded her head.

"Wow. I had no idea you had kids."Ava laughed.

"Yeah, I have three. Two girls and a boy. I have pictures of them in my office."Damita replied.

"I guess I never noticed."Ava shrugged and Amaru entered the kitchen.

"Yes baby?"presented himself.

"Um. You're supposed to be down here too. This is about you." Damita complained.

"My bad baby. I ain't even know she was here." Amaru chuckled and took his place at the table.

"I'm Amaru."he smiled and stuck his hand out for Ava to shake.

"I'm Ava."She smiled back and shook his hand.

"Baby, you ain't made no breakfast? We hungry." Amaru laughed and Damita rolled her eyes.

"I'll make some in a minute baby. I'm trying to get you together for court first."She replied, looking down at the paper in front of her.

"Mr.Shakur, I'd like to go over a couple of questions that they might try to ask you, if that's okay with you?"Ava asked.