Chapter 32: Spaces

Oh spaces between us
Keep getting deeper
It's harder to reach you
Even though I try
Spaces between us
Hold all our secrets
Leaving us speechless
And I don't know why

Taking a deep breath my eyes remained on the ceiling. I was awake all night, crying. Seeing him again after seven years brought back all the memories we've shared. Including the most painful night of my life. The night where I lost my dignity and I got my heart broken. I don't why he's here. And I have no idea at all why he chose to be back in town on the week of my visit. But I shouldn't let him get to me. I swore the day that I left this place, that I will be stronger and that I will never let nobody else put me down. But I really hope that I won't have to see him again.

At 8am, I decided to get out of my room and join my mom and Tom for breakfast. The weather is nice and Tom would like to go fishing. It's something he and mom do whenever the weather is nice. They asked me to join them but I never liked fishing and being on the water too. So politely refused their offer.

After breakfast I offered to clear the table and cook lunch for us when they come back. As soon as they left I looked for something else to do. I did some reading and shared a couple of text with Blake asking me how my days are going on. I told her that it was good but decided not to tell her about him. Blake knew everything that happened. She is the only person who I told everything to. And she's the one who encourage me to change my style. She convinced me that I should get out of my comfort zone, leave the pile of books for a while and enjoy life. Be young, carefree and beautiful. Be brave, be strong and be wise. And that's who I am now. I've built my walls for years and I am not taking them down. I will not let one interaction with him make me crawl back to the nerd and ugly old self that I used to be. Not in a million years.

After I got bored reading and listening to some music I walked to our old garage. There I saw my mom's old car neatly parked. When I moved to Jersey to be with my dad, I told my mother to sell my Prius, I won't be needing it anyway. Cause of the broke bones I got from the accident, I used crutches for months, even when I was already starting my freshman year at NYU, I was still using them. So I didn't use the car anymore. Besides, that car holds so many memories that I never want to remember.

I decided to take a walk and as I was getting passed of our fences, there I saw him again, getting passed theirs. He was wearing a white V-neck shirt, black ripped jeans and a pair of Chelsea boots. His hair was perfectly pushed back and he has his Ray Bans on. So much for fucking going back to memory lane.

Turning around, I planned on avoiding him and going back inside the house but he sent me a huge grin as he took his sunglasses on.

"Swift," he called out.

Taking a deep breath, I knew it was too late. Turning around, I gave him a force smile.

"Hey," I greeted him forcefully, waiving my hand at him. I was wearing a gray sweatshirt and a pair of denim ripped shorts.

Keeping a reasonable amount of distance between us, I slid my hands inside the front pockets of my sweatshirt. To be honest, I feel uncomfortable being around him but not as uncomfortable as I felt last night. I can breath better now. Maybe, thinking about everything I have been through and how strong and brave I became over the past year helped me be on my feet in this very moment. Besides, I will only be here for a week. If he is back for good then I will only stumble upon him for a few more days then I'll be back to Manhattan, which I'm very excited about.

"I'm really glad to see you here," he mumbled.

Wanting to say the same but it's the opposite of what I really feel so I kept my mouth shut. Not giving him a reaction at all.