Chapter 46: The Best Day

And, I didn't know if you knew
So I'm taking this chance to say
That I had the best day with you today.

"She has cancer."

Those were Tom's word on the phone earlier. My mom has cancer. Not diabetes. Cancer. And she has been battling with it for more than a year. And her only child does not have a single idea that her mother was diagnosed of cancer.

"She didn't want to tell you,"

"She didn't want you to worry,"

Tears fell from my eyes. What kind of daughter was I? I was just in Wake Forest four months ago and why did I not have any idea that she is sick? Why did I not even notice it?

Guilt filled my chest as I put my clothes on the suitcase.

After my conversation with Tom on the phone, I had a total meltdown in the ladies room, I didn't know if Jake had to carry me out of it. All I knew was he drove me to the apartment, he helped me booked a plane ticket to North Carolina tonight. He wanted to stay but I know he has a lot of things to take care of in the office and I also did not want to be a burden.

My mind was wondering as I continue to pack my things. I don't know how long will I stay in Wake Forest and I am not sure if I am ready to face Harry but I don't care about all those things. All I want is to see my mom and make sure she gets better.

After a while, I heard the front door opened, and a worried Blake came to my door. Seeing Blake felt like I found an ally, someone who will comfort me, someone who will assure me, it's going to okay.

I ran to her and wrapped my arms around her and cried my eyes out.

Blake hugged me so tight and occasionally she pats my head. This time she did not say anything, she just let me cry and cry and cry. She just let me release everything, the pain, the hurt, the guilt.

"Do you want me to go with you?" She asks after a while.

I am more calm this time, we are sitting on the living room beside each other at the big couch. My flight is not until five hours from today, that is already the earliest I can get.

Shaking my head at her. "No, you have a fashion week to take care of," I told her.

The last thing I want is to become a burden to her. Fashion Week is what every fashion genius is waiting for all year round. And she prepared for it so much.

She reached for my hand and slightly pressed my palm.

"Then promise me you won't blame yourself," she says.

Tears started to form in my eyes again.

"Your mom is not going to be okay by blaming yourself and thinking you are the worst daughter in the world." She says. "Cause that is not true. You may not be together but I saw how much love you have for her," she added.

I gave her a slight nod and once again she pulled me into a tight embrace. At this very moment, I thank God for the life of Blake. She is indeed my rock.

Blake drove me to the airport although I told her not to. She is still worried that I might breakdown. My plane is departing from JFK by five in the afternoon and it should arrive by nine in the evening. I am hoping for no delay on my flight.

Tom offered to pick me up at the airport but I declined. As per him Mom is in the hospital for almost two weeks now. We did not talk much on the phone about the details of what is really going but I am eager to find out everything when I get there.

When I arrived at the airport, I told Blake to go first, half of her day was already wasted for accompanying me. She has so much to take care of. She left but I had to assure her that I will not breakdown or blame myself for what is happening to my mom.

Sitting at the departure area, I patiently waited for my flight. My head wandered on the thought of my mom. It made me remember the first night that it was just the two of us who were left at the house after my dad moved out. I was eight at that time. I wasn't scared but she asked me to if she can sleep in my room. She read me some Disney stories and comb my hair which something that she hasn't done ever since she and my Dad started their rocky relationship. Before we even went to sleep, she apologizes to me on everything. She said that she knew their constant fights and the divorce affected me so much. That night she assured me that she will protect me no matter what.
From there on, my mom became my best friend. Maybe, that was the reason why I never paid so much attention for not having friends at school. Just the thought of her waiting for me at the gates of our elementary school excites me than the thought of playing with other kids. Those James Taylor and Shania Twain songs we used to sing in the car where a huge part of my childhood. And how can I forget how she prepares breakfast for me, no matter how tired she is, she makes sure that before I get to have my favorite meal of the day. And how she gave me fashion advises, always buying me nice clothes, and how proud she was of me.

I wiped my tears. My mom is a such a wonderful woman, she took care of me. She boast about me to her friends and in our neighborhood. She supported me in everything, even with my relationship with Harry and when I decided to run away, she was confused but she still supported it.

My flight was smooth and I arrived at Greensboro airport couple of minutes early. I rented a cab going to Wake Forest. When I spoke on the phone with Tom as soon as I landed, he told me that there is a visitation schedule at the hospital. So I decided to go straight to our house and visit mom tomorrow morning. Tom stays at the hospital with her, even though the hospital provides a private nurse, he still wants to be beside her. I a, happy that my mom found like Tom, who loves her dearly.

When I reached our house, it was empty and dark. Carrying my luggage as I walked towards the front door I noticed the house beside us as dark as ours. The garage was empty as well. And the huge 'FOR SALE' sign was neatly placed in front of their house. I felt the familiar ache in my chest. He is selling the house. The house that holds so many memories, not just ours, but Liam's family.

Shaking my head, I withdrew any thoughts of Harry. I am here for my mom. Not him.

___
Hey! Sorry for the cliffhanger from last chapter.

It took me a while to write this one cause I kind of felt the pain. I had to stop for a couple of times, because I couldn't stop crying.
This chapter was not made because Andrea Swift is sick in real life, but it was really part of the story way back 2017 when I thought about it.

Anyway, I hope everyone is safe and sound.

I'll start the next chapter now.

Love,
- X❤️