Chapter 47: Ronan

What if I'm standing in your closet trying to talk to you?
What if I kept the hand me downs you won't grow into?
And what if I really thought some miracle would see us through?
But what if the miracle was even getting one moment with you?

The next day, I woke up really early. Actually, I didn't sleep much as the thought of my mom kept me awake. After taking a quick shower, I dressed up on a simple white long sleeves shirt, a pair of denim jeans and converse. I didn't bother putting on any makeup also.

After making sure I look decent enough, I made my way downstairs for some coffee. It's only six in the morning and the visitation starts at eight so I'll just have some breakfast and maybe I can drop by at the market to buy my mom some fruits.

A newly showered Tom wearing his usual short-sleeve button down shirt and khaki pants is what I have found in the kitchen. I didn't hear him came.

"Good morning," he stood up and gave me a slight hug.

His face looks tired and he lost some weight too. Seeing him like this added more on the anxiety that I already feel. How bad is mom's illness?

Giving him a weak smile, I opened the cupboard to get a mug and poured myself a freshly brewed coffee.

"What time did you get in? I didn't hear you," I asked as I sat on the breakfast counter opposite him.

He sipped on his coffee , "I got in," he answered. "Uhm. . Taylor, I would like to discuss some matters with you," he said with a serious expression on his face. "About Andrea's condition."

After my conversation with Tom, he decided to go back to the hospital while I was left in the kitchen trying to process and absorb everything he had told me.

"I didn't want you to be surpised but you might barely recognized her."

That was he told me.

As per Tom, mom was diagnosed of gastric cancer spring of last year. It was stage four cancer. It was true, cancer is a traitor illness. She didn't show symptoms aside from some occassional stomach flu. And she did not really paid attention to it until it became constant. After the series of test, it was confirmed. My mom has cancer.

She refused chemotherapy. She just wanted to live normally. And she refused to tell me or any member of the family. It was her and Tom who knew about it. Even going to the hospital is something that she did not want. But two weeks ealier, she passed out, so Tom had to bring her in. He told in tears that he lost her for a few minutes befor they got to revive her. The cancer cells spread all over her body.

"The doctor said she is ready to go anytime."

From that moment on, he knew I should know about it. So without my mom's knowledge he took the phone and made the call.

"I have one favor Taylor, please act normal around her,"

How can I even do that? How can I act normal knowing that my mom is on her death bed? My mom is so young, she should have more years to spend with Tom, with me. She should see me get married, she should see her grandchildren.

It took me a while before I finally decided to go to the hospital and see her. I am not even sure if I could step my foot inside. To be completely honest, I am scared on what I will see. In my head, all I could remember is how beautiful my mom is, her blue eyes, her nose, her lips. And don't want to lose that image.