Chapter 45: I Almost Do

And I just wanna tell you
It takes everything in me not to call you
And I wish I could run to you
And I hope you know that every time I don't
I almost do
I almost do

My phone beeped as I was making my way home to the office. The weather is quiet nice today, fall is really happening very very soon so I decided to take a walk going to the office. I smiled as I remembered my favorite season. Autumn represents a new beginning for me. Like the old things are being washed away soon enough the snow will just bury all the hurt, the pain, and hopefully even the bad memories.

Taking my phone out of my pocket, it was text from Jake.

/Good Morning Beautifu!/ - Jake

Smiling, I typed in my reply of a simple 'morning' and put my phone back to my pocket.

Three months later, Jake managed to still be sweet, often times especially when he is not busy in the office, he picks me up from home and we drive together to the office, same goes after work. Having him around makes me take my mind off of Harry. Jake is such a big help.

Blake, on the other hand is not happy with what is currently going on. She is against my relationship with Jake, pointing out that it't not good to use Jake as my rebound. The word 'use' is a little too much. I am not using Jake, more on I am just giving him a chance. He had stayed with me for the past couple of years, did not pressure me to get into a relationship with him. Also, I may still have feelings for Harry, but he is not here, he gave up on me, on us and Jake is here with me trying his best to win my heart. Besides, with my observation for the past three months that we are exclusively going out, Jake is easy to be with and it's not going to be difficult to fall in love with him either. Though, I am not there yet, but I think I will get there. Hopefully sooner than later.

I think about Harry less now compare to the past two months which were the hardest, I even came to a point where I dreamed about him, there were so many nights that I couldn't sleep at all. But as days go by, it gets a little better.
And there are still times that I still wonder where he is even after I got together with Jake. Yes! I still haven't had the courage to ask my mom if he went back to Wake Forest. But I have a huge feeling that he did, given that he was putting up a dealership there. At one point, I tried to stalk him on social media, but I didn't find him. Maybe, he isn't a fan of those sites.

The office is busier than ever, NY Fashion Week is next month and everyone wants their brand all over Manhattan. Since we are one of the largest advertising firms in the state, we get most of the deals. Almost everyday, I am all over the place, meetings here and there. Blake is busy too, which took off her attention to my relationship issues. For the past two weeks she goes home at midnight and had to go to work very early, so we seldom see each other. I miss her though, even if most of the time she scolds me. I am fine, I know that she is concern. Tough love.

At lunch time, Jake knocked on my door.

"Are you available for lunch?" He asked sweetly.

He was wearing his usual suit and tie but this time he wore color gray for a change from his usual black. Looking at my office wall clock, its passed twelve in the afternoon.

"Let me check for a while," I answered.

He leaned on the door with that smile not leaving his beautiful face while he watches me checked on the schedule.

"I have a meeting at two," I said as I browse on my planner. "I can do an hour," I looked up to him.

He smiled widely, "One hour is more than enough," he teased.

Smiling at him, I stood up, brought my phone and purse with me as well as my coat that was hanging on the coat hanger near my desk and made my way to the door.
He motioned for me to go out first then he followed, Jake is such a gentleman. We walked together but as much as possible, we don't do any physical contact, although people in the office know we are going out. We still decided to keep being professional at work.

We went to this Japanese restaurant just across the building, both of us only have an hour to spend. Most of the time, especially since the prep for New York Fashion Week has started I only eat lunch on my desk and Jake spends most of his time at lunch meetings. I am craving for some Ramen and sashimi.

"I'm starving!" I excitedly said after the waiter took our orders.

Jake ordered a shrimp bento.

"I'm glad that your appetite is coming back," he says after a while.

Honestly, I am glad too. I feel my old self is finally coming back. Jake is really a big help.

"Yeah," I agree.

He reached for my hand that was on the table, we are sitting across each other. He intertwined his fingers with mine, this is the first time that he did that. Normally, he just hold my hands. This action made me suddenly remember Harry. How he used to lace his fingers with mine. Like locking them up with mine, making sure that I am all his. The familiar ache on my chest was present again and my eyes started to water.

Not exactly knowing it, I pulled my hand from him. The shock on his face was too obvious not to notice.

"I'm sorry, I'll just go to the restroom." I nervously said.

Jake was still stunned but still managed to give me a slight nod. Standing up, I walked as fast as I can towards the ladies room.

For the past three months, I let Jake hold my hands, but never in that way. We never kissed except on the cheeks. We only shared hugs but very seldom. And we never talked about Harry. Though, I know he is curious about him given how Harry reacted that 'night' but I am glad that he is not asking about him. I am not ready to share that detail about my life.

A sigh of relief came to me when the ladies room was empty. I looked at my reflection on the mirror. From the back of my mind, it flashes back all my memories of Harry, from the night at the convenience store, the tutor center, the infamous kiss on the locker, the thanksgiving, my birthday at Tree Hill set, the prom, the accident, then seven years later, the night we spent at his room, the hotel, and the night he left. It all came crashing back on me. And tears started falling. I was doing so good these past few weeks. I thought I was passed this but just one single reminder triggers everything. All things that I have been trying to forget. Stop! I told myself in gritted teeth.

My phone rang while I was in the middle of my dilemma, the number was not recognized by my phone but it was a North Carolina area code.

Wiping my tears I answered.

"Hello."

"Taylor! Something happened to your mom!"

And once again, my whole world came crashing down on me.