Chapter 44: Infinity

How many nights does it take to count the stars?
That's the time it would take to fix my heart

Harry's POV

My phone buzz at exactly six in the morning, as usual it is on time with the alarm I set it to be. Though, I was already awake even before it rings, which happens everyday for a month now.

Reaching my phone from my nightstand, I turned off the annoying sound. My head hurts a little as I lost count of how many beers I drank the night before. I needed it to be able to sleep. But no amount of hang over can compare to the ache in my chest.

Staying in bed, my eyes stuck on the ceiling, I wondered about her. How is she doing? Is she hurting too like I am? I can't even make out her name, it hurts so much.

Letting go of her was the most painful and hardest decision I had to make in my life. For years, all I have ever wanted was to see her again and make it right. Little did I know, what I did in high school damaged the girl I loved the most on this planet for good. Because of my stupidity, the innocence, the gentleness in her was gone, instead it was replaced with this strong and independent woman I surely didn't know. Her eyes that speaks with warm, comforting words were gone too. I didn't expect that until this time, my actions when I eighteen will still haunt me.

Honestly, I wanted to go back to New York, tell her that I am still in love with her, and that I am willing to do everything just so I can earn her forgiveness. But whenever the thought of the pain and the hell I put her through crosses my mind, I become defeated. I cannot bear to put her in another misery. So eventhough, the pain is too much to bear, I am fine, if it means she gets her peace, I am fine. This time, I am going to stop being selfish.

That same night, I checked out of the hotel and flew back to Wake Forest. This may sound not very pleasing, but I was on the phone with my mum while waiting for my plane. And I was crying like a boy to her. This time she didn't beg me to stop seeking after her. Voluntarily, I told her I am giving her up. She made me a promise though, that I will go on with my life. And I did. I had to. Even if losing her completely this time with no hope of the future, I knew I had to move on.

The dealership keeps me busy as we had our opening just this weekend. All the work with the construction of the place and procurement of the units is taking all my time. Though, exhausted, I still find it hard to sleep at night. Her face still haunts me, even in my dreams. Good thing they invented beers. I really admire whoever thought of that immaculate liquid substance.

You gotta move Styles! I told myself.

Taking a deep breath, I got out of the bed. Took a quick shower, dressed in my usual (white shirt, jeans and boots), I went out. I don't really wear those business attires, my sales people do but I stick to my usual. Also, I decided to move to the dealership completely and put up the house in Thompson Road for sale. That house and the house beside it holds so many memories.

"What should I get you for lunch?"

I looked up at my secretary Elena who was standing at the door of my office. See? I really get pre-occupied by so many work that I didn't realize its already lunch time.

Elena is middle-aged woman who lives downtown Wake Forest with her husband and two kids. She is like a mother to me and she is very enthusiastic. When she first started here, I often refused when she gets me food cause mostly I don't have any appetite but like the usual mums, she nags me about it so I just went with it.

"A sandwich will do," I answered her.

"Why don't you go with us, we are eating at the diner," she asks.

Usually, at noon time, she and Rick and Tim, my sales people are going out for lunch and I am left at the dealership. I allow them since we barely get clients at this time of the day.

"It's okay. I have to review some contracts, l'll wait for my sandwich," I politely declined.

She nodded. "Okay, we'll be quick!"

"It's fine. Take your time."

Then she went on her way. I am not even hungry, I just didn't want her to nag me about skipping meals.

After a little while, the glass doors opened, they are back too soon. Maybe, they decided to just bring the food here so we can eat all together. My staff are very considerate.

Standing up, smiling, I went to check on them and to my surprise, it wasn't my staff whom I saw checking on the units.

"Harry Styles!" She calls me with a wide smile on her face.

Kendall Jenner is standing in front of me wearing a sparkling dress.

"What are you doing here?"

After graduation I heard from the group that she moved to California, I didn't really pay attention to where the others were going cause I was already losing my mind at that time as she went missing after prom.

"So the rumors are true," she said as she walks towards me. "The great Harry Styles is back in town."

Giving her a few slight nods, though, she's the main reason why I lost her. I still can't be rude, its bad for business. "Yeah! When did you get back?"

"Just a few days ago," she answered. "I had to be a supportive daughter no matter how I am enjoying the sun in LA," she added.

I can sense that she hasn't change, she still sound the same way she did in highschool.

"Yeah, I heard your father is running for mayor," I said.

She nodded. "He is, our family is really against it, politics is so messy and stressful, but he was insisting so we just had to support him." She saysz. "By the way, the others are also back in town and I am meeting with them tonight at the bar downtown, why don't you join us?"

"I have to check, we just opened the dealership couple of days ago so I have plenty of work to do, but maybe I'll drop by," I answered.

"Sure!"

We chatted for a little bit, she told me that she is in her third year in Medical School. I didn't really expect she had a thing for blood and medicine. She also told me that she kept in touch with the rest of the group. Louis and Eleanor are married and they have a son named Freddie. They are back in town and thinking of buying a property here. Gigi is an aspiring model in LA with Kendall, and she and Zayn broke up because of the long distance relationship. But Zayn still has a thing for her, so Kendall brought Gigi with her to reconcile her with Zayn.

I wasn't really interested with their lives cause I have a harder one my own. I still have to deal with the fact that me and her has no chance of reconciliation and having the people who are the reason behind this unbearable pain in my heart isn't helping at all.

So I had to make this chapter today for all of you who are wondering where Harry is. Actually, I am supposed to do this tomorrow but I couldn't sleep so might as well just make a double update.

Tell me your thoughts about the 'gang' being back. Do you want Harry to hang out with them or just cut them out of his life completely?

Can't wait for you comments!

Lots of love

-X💕