Franki and the Broken Heart Army [S1:E16]

| December 1 | Friday |

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited for tonight.

Even though I was supposed to be off this weekend, I had no problem coming in and helping out because tonight we would be putting on our first concert, and I was more than ready.

"Yeah, Max is supposed to be coming in around eight to sound-check the band, but Franki will probably be running a little late," Danna informed over the phone. "Bands are rarely ever on time."

"Is there anything I need to do before the sound-guy gets here?" I wondered as I let myself into Jinx.

"There should be a stage plot and input list on the office desk. Make sure you give that to Max," Danna said. "Who will be at the door collecting the cover?"

"Either me or Jas."

"Good. I'm bummed I can't be there, tonight."

I let myself into the office. "So am I. It's gonna be a good time. I heard they're really good."

"They've played here in Baldwin and packed the house," Danna said. "Make sure you don't overcrowd the place."

"Yes ma'am," I teased.

"Alright, I'll let you go and get set up. Please tell Franki she's not allowed to break anything onstage, alright?"

I laughed. "I'll... try? No promises, though."

"Good luck!"

I stared at the documents Danna had told me to hold onto.

I nodded. "I think I'm gonna need it."

* * *

"So, you've never dealt with live sound before?" Max, the sound-guy, asked.

"Never." I observed as he plugged in multiple mics. "How long have you been doing this?"

"All through college plus some... so, almost six years?"

"Do you like it?"

He faced me with a smile. "Love it. Plus, I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it."

Well, I sure hope you are, I thought to myself.

Max checked his watch. "They should be here by now."

"Danna said they might be a little late."

"True," he agreed. "Bands are rarely on time. Especially a band like Franki's."

I laughed. "So I've heard."

After setting up, I realized there was nothing left to do but stock the bar and wait for the band to show. It was still early, about nine-fifteen, and showtime wasn't till ten. I just hoped the band got here in time because people were already starting to show.

Ten minutes later, when I was behind the bar talking with Jas, an eccentric woman busted through the door.

She wore black-on-black as her neck was wrapped with layered necklaces and chains. I studied her further as she talked with Max and shimmied out of her leather jacket, exposing her sleeve-less tank. One of her arms was covered with tats, and her choppy, bleach-blonde hair barely touched her slim shoulders. She was smaller than I had imagined, but I couldn't help but think everything else had pretty much met my expectations.

I decided to introduce myself.

When I made it over to them, her dark eyes seemed to swallow me. Her aura was strong, almost dominating, but I had to remind myself it was all part of her image.