Break [S2:E8]

| March 9 | Friday Night |

~ Sam's POV ~

"Sam, I need your help!"

I took a deep breath and rushed over to Mariah who was behind the bar making drinks. I wasn't necessarily happy to be here, because Megan was spending the weekend with her mom, and I had to be here for work. But, there was nothing I could do about it.

I helped make Mariah's order, took an order of my own, and then got Sara change. The only good thing about tonight was the fact that it was passing quickly. There was nothing I wanted more than to get the hell out of here and go home to sleep.

Once I helped extinguish the rush, I leaned back against the bar.

"Everyone good?" I asked.

"For now," Mariah answered, counting her tips.

I decided that the girls could certainly handle the bar on their own for a few, and I disappeared out the back door. Luckily, the weather was warming up, so I didn't have to worry about freezing to death.

I dialed Megan's number.

"Hey babe," she answered. "How's work?"

"It's work," I answered. "I miss you."

"I literally saw you this morning."

"And?"

She laughed through the phone. "You're ridiculous. I'll be home by noon, Sunday."

"Thank God." I kicked a piece of gravel. "I think Charlie and I would die without you."

"And you're dramatic!"

I just laughed in response.

"How's you're mom?" I asked.

"She's fine. Her new boyfriend is... interesting. But she seems happy, so that's all that matters."

"Hey, don't hate on her boyfriend for being different," I said. "You thought the same thing about me, and look at us now."

"You're right."

I smiled. "It's gonna suck sleeping without you."

"You can cuddle with Charlie," she replied. "She loves cuddling with you."

"Can't you tell I'm just trying to flirt with you, woman?" I claimed.

"You call that flirting?" she joked.

I rolled my eyes playfully, checking the time and seeing I had been out here for quite a while. Plus, it was late. And I was sure Megan was probably laying in bed, readying herself to sleep.

"I should go," I said reluctantly. "I don't want Mariah and Sara to think I abandoned them."

"How is Mariah?" Megan asked.

I looked back at the door. "She seems... better, but I'm not sure. You can't deal with your problems in a week."

Megan sighed. "Yeah, but maybe she's trying harder."

"Maybe," I agreed. "Okay babe. I'll talk to you later. I love you."

"I love you too," Megan replied. "I'll talk to you tomorrow."

Then we hung up, and I walked back towards the bar's back entrance.

Just a few more hours, I thought to myself.