Season 4: Episode 13

| May 17th | Friday Morning |

~ Sam's POV ~

As I sit passenger in Dane's car, I try not to think too far ahead, knowing if I start doing that, unnecessary worry will appear. Despite the way I feel about Dane's situation, there's no denying that I'm glad he asked me to accompany him. In my own personal way, I saw it as giving back, just like Blair, Shawn and Megan had helped support me through my tough times.

"I think you're more nervous than I am," Dane says, cutting through the silence.

"Nah." I tell a white lie. "I mean, I man be a little nervous, but I have anxiety, so it's normal."

"You have anxiety?" he asks.

I nod. "Yeah, definitely."

"Well, you hide it well," Dane jokes. "Except for now."

The drive continues and Dane and I keep up conversation, sometimes talking about small aspirations we have, our opinions on the state of the world, and other enlightening topics. It's nice to be able to talk with someone about pretty much anything, and he had a lot of great talking points.

"You know what I wish?" I start. "I wish there were places where adults could hang out and it not be centered around drinking. I mean, why isn't there any sober cafés?"

"That's actually a really cool idea," Dane agrees. "Like a cool coffee-shop-styled café, maybe with a small library, outside seating with a small stage for performances..."

"I can totally see it." I play into the dream. "There's hanging Christmas lights, you know, to give it a chill vibe."

"And food trucks could stop and sell their food right there!"

What I'm picturing in my head looks amazing and inviting and all the things I wished to enjoy.

"I've always wanted to start a business," Dane admits.

"Any reason why you haven't?" I ask.

"Money, opportunity, you know, the usual setbacks."

"Right."

I check my phone and realize we only have about thirty minutes left until we get to our destination.

"My brother Shawn..." I start. "He helped start up the bar I managed back in Missouri..."

Dane glances at me. His warm brown eyes light up.

"Maybe – and it's a long shot – but maybe, he could invest in one of your business ideas?" I say. "I mean, honestly, my mind's going a million miles a minute about this sober café."

"You serious?" he asks.

"Yeah." I shrug. "He'd probably be really into this idea, actually. You two should meet. I think he'd like you."

The conversation ends as we pull up to the church where Dane's mother's funeral will be held, and he shuts the car off. There's this look in his eyes, as if he's being taken back in his mind to his teenage days. His dark days, despite sitting right in front of a place of worship. Did this church trigger his trauma?

"I should warn you," he starts. "You might hear some things..."

"Don't worry about me." I shake my head. "If there's anything I'm used to, it's ignoring ignorance."

I watch Dane relax at my confession. He knows he doesn't have to worry about me, or about his family offending me. Hell, the reason I'm here in the first place is because his family would have probably harassed J.C. with subtle – or not so subtle – comments.