Season 3: Episode 11

| September 3 | Monday Morning |

~ Sam's POV ~

The fact that I had agreed to spend my Monday off with Megan to help babysit her class while they attended the aquarium should show how much I truly love her. Don't get me wrong. I always wanted to help her in any way that I could, but this was me trying to make up for the way I had acted the other night and show her that I was willing to do anything for her. Even if that meant chaperoning eight-year-olds.

"Thank you for coming today," Megan said as she quickly grabbed her roster sheet and her purse. "I love you so much."

I couldn't help but laugh at her obvious nerves. "Anything for you, babe."

She just gave a slight chuckle before addressing her class.

"Okay everyone," she announced. "We're gonna line up and walk to the buses now. Remember what we talked about!"

The children excitedly scrambled to the door and lined up single file, which was surprisingly impressive. There was no way I was this compliant as an eight-year-old. In fact, I remember causing a lot of trouble when I was in elementary school. Things obviously didn't change much as I went through grade school. Was I proud? No. But did I have way more fun than my peers? Most likely.

I watched Megan lead her class out of the room, lock her door, and continue down through the hallway. I tailed the line and observed from afar, silently enjoying the ways the kids looked up to my fiancée. She hadn't been lying when she said she had a well-behaved group.

We made it to our designated bus where other third-grade classes joined us. Megan approached a bus and started checking names, accounting for every child that would be joining us on the field trip. The kids were eager and expressed their excitement with loud chatter and weird bodily movements I didn't understand. But hey, I wasn't eight anymore. Then, once her entire class was onboard, we entered the bus ourselves.

"So, how did therapy go last week?" she wondered. "We never really talked about it."

"Well, it was a just a consultation," I revealed. "That's why."

"Oh."

I scolded myself for the blunt response and tried to redeem myself.

"I have high hopes though," I confessed. "Dr. Dupree is great and agreed that twice a month would be enough to start. I go back next Monday."

Megan seemed satisfied with this response and looked at me with a smile.

"That's great, babe."

I felt my heart flutter.

Then another group of kids started making their way onto our bus, and after their names were all checked off, a dark-haired man climbed up the steps. Smoldering green-gray eyes looked at me and then at Megan before giving a polite smile. Something about the way his gaze lingered on Megan made me stir, but this wasn't new. Everyone stared at her. But why had this instance stood out to me?

"Who's that?" I asked.

"Another teacher," she answered. "His name's Ethan. He's my hallway neighbor."

A part of me wanted to ask if he was single and if it was possible that he could have taken interest in her. Another part told me that was a bad idea. You're being better, Sam, I told myself. There's no use in thinking those thoughts anymore.

"His little girl is actually in my class," Megan revealed.

I looked over my shoulder. "Which one?"