Season 4 Finale "A Look Forward"

One year later...

As Sam buttons up her dress shirt, the same dress shirt she had worn to the courthouse over a year ago, and she can't help but reminisce on that wonderful day.

Today, Sam, Megan, their family, and friends would celebrate their marriage since the two had skipped over having a traditional ceremony. It was something they had been looking forward to, and the day was finally here. There was an excitement in the air that was contagious, and the best part was that there was no pressure.

Other than the fact that Megan and Sam would be exchanging vows in front of a crowd of people.

"So, the way that this is gonna work..." Blair explains to the event manager. "We're gonna play the footage from the day they got married at the courthouse, and once that's done, Sam and Megan will exchange their personal vows."

"Okay," the event manager says. "People are already starting to get here, so should we open the bar?"

"Sam?" Blair asks. "Should we open up the bar?"

"Sure," I say.

"Megan's still not done getting dressed?" Blair wonders.

"She's probably still helping Ava," I inform. "I'll go check on them and tell them people are getting here."

"Sounds good." Blair stops before she walks out of the dressing from. "This is their party too, after all. People are gonna want to see them."

"We'll be out in a few."

Sam makes her way over to the door that's only closed halfway before she knocks to let her presence be known. She hears shifting inside, and Ava saying something to Megan.

"Come in," Megan says.

Sam peeks inside and sees Megan finishing up a braid and pinning it to Ava's head. Ava looks at Sam through the mirror and gives her an excited smile while Megan remains focused on hair spraying the hair style to stay in place. When they're done, Ava shoots up out of her seat and faces Sam completely.

"Do you like my hair?" Ava asks excitedly. "Doesn't it make me look like a princess?"

Sam laughs at the excitement on the ten-year-old's expression as she steps into the room to be closer to her family.

"I'm definitely getting princess vibes," Sam agrees and looks at Megan. "Good job on the hair style."

"Thanks." Megan laughs nervously. "Ava would of course pick a style that just screams extra."

At the mentioning, Ava spins to show off her dress, which she had picked out a few weeks ago. Sam remembers how quiet she had been when she had first met her, and how Ava's almost a completely different person now. She had grown into herself and gained so much confidence over the past year she was almost unrecognizable when compared to her younger self.

"Is Aunt Casey and Uncle Shawn here yet?" Ava asks. "I wanna see Ben."

"Why don't you go and see?" Sam suggests. "Blair said people were already showing up."

Ava bolts out of the dressing room, which leaves Sam and Megan alone. They look at each other and just laugh from happiness and Ava's antics. Since adopting her, every day had been an eventful one. It was something neither of them would trade for the world.

"I guess we should get out there too," Megan says.

"They can wait a few more minutes..."

Sam pulls her wife into her and plants a loving kiss on Megan's lips. There's so much emotion that surrounds them in this room it's almost like they're getting married all over again. Megan wraps her arms around Sam's neck and stares into those eyes she loves so much.