Season 3: Episode 16

| November 9th | Friday Night |

~ Sam's POV ~

After the night that I had found out Megan had been with Ethan, and our fight, there had been a major shift between us. A shift that felt irreparable. I felt guilty. I felt dirty. I felt there were things I could've done different and things I shouldn't have said. I felt like drinking that night was a bad move, and that I had opened myself back up to my addictive ways. There were so many things I wished I would've done instead, but there was no going back.

I could barely look at Megan without feeling the burn of guilt. Her invisible wounds were visible to me. I had done that. I had pushed her away. I had let my anxiety and abusive past overcome me, and now I could never take it back. In a way, her confiding in Ethan was my fault anyway, because I wasn't letting her confide in me. I was weak, and I would never be enough.

Work tonight had been rough, and I needed to wind down before I went home. That, on top of me avoiding Megan, ended up with the desire to head over to the bar across the street from Crossroads and have a few beers. But when I walked in, I hadn't been expecting to see Jade at the bar by herself.

Should I join her? It would be weird if I didn't. Then again, after everything that was going on, I knew I probably shouldn't. Yet, I found myself taking the seat next to her.

"Are you stalking me now?" she wondered.

"No." I ordered a beer. "But I guess we had the same idea after our shit night at work."

"Jesus, we got our asses handed to us," Jade complained.

"At least you made some money."

"Yeah, I'll rub that one in Ty's face."

I laughed. "Hey, it's not his fault he's sick."

"I know. I just like to mess with him."

There was a lull in the conversation, and our shoulders touched when we both went for our beers. A familiar tension filled the air around us, but neither of us moved away from the other. Then, out of nowhere, Jade took in a deep breath.

"You should tell Megan to come and meet us," she suggested.

A part of me figured this was her way of deflecting the obvious tension, then another part of me wondered if she was bringing Megan up in hopes that I started talking about my seemingly crumbled relationship. At least, it sure felt that way right about now.

"She's asleep," I claimed, although I was uncertain.

I just know she hadn't texted me back.

Another pause in conversation made me caress my beer in hopes that Jade continued. If it was quiet for too long, I got into my head, and I really didn't want that to happen tonight.

"How have things been?" she finally asked. "Between you two?"

I watched the condensation roll down my beer glass as I contemplated an adjective to describe what it felt like between Megan and me. It was hard because I felt that there were a million words, but there was one that stuck out like a sore thumb, especially after our latest fight.

"Quiet," I answered. "We barely talk, and by talk, I mean meaningful conversation other than what we want for dinner or who's turn it is to take Charlie out for a walk."

Jade made a sound, but I wasn't sure if it was a good or bad reaction. She tended to try and be neutral when talking about things like this, and I knew it was her desire to avoid drama. I couldn't blame her for that. I hated that I was trapped in this whirlwind of a mess myself.