Propositions [S2:E17]

| May 6 | Sunday Morning |

~ Sam's POV ~

My fingers drummed on the steering wheel of Megan's car as we rode in silence. My girlfriend was aimlessly staring out the passenger window as we made our way to her mother's home. We had agreed to this dinner over a month ago, but I felt as if circumstances between Megan and I had changed.

The slamming of the apartment door made me jump.

"Megan," I fumed. "What the fuck?"

I watched Charlie run in to greet us, but my girlfriend completely ignored the excited pup. Something she never did.

Then she looked at me.

"Are you what-the-fucking me?" she asked. "Because I could ask you the same damn thing, Sam."

I tried to calm my heart rate, but what had just happened back at Jinx wasn't allowing it. Nikki had blindsided the both of us, but she wasn't the only one!

Megan sat on the couch and put her head in her hands. I couldn't tell if she was trying not to cry or kill someone. I had never really seen her like this, and I wasn't sure what to do.

"This is exactly why I was hesitant to tell people the truth," she revealed. "Because people like Nikki could find out."

"This isn't my fault," I defended.

"It is." Megan looked up. "And I'm not saying that I think this relationship is wrong, or that I didn't sign up for the consequences, but you told Jas. You told someone who should've never known the truth about us!"

I felt my ego shrink at her comment. She was right.

"Then you told Mariah about Nikki and let her see how worked up you get around her." Megan shook her head. "Fuck, none of this should be happening."

"Nikki isn't gonna do anything," I said. "She's all talk."

"You don't know that," Megan disagreed. "Nikki isn't just manipulative verbally."

I decided that fighting against Megan on this situation was the wrong move. We should stick together. This is what Nikki wanted. She wanted us to fight and doubt our relationship.

I sat next to Megan and wrapped my arm around her shoulders. "I won't let her ruin our lives."

She shook her head. "Thing is, you won't lose anything, Sam."

I just stared at her.

"If she tells the wrong people... anyone... within the education system, or even her coworkers... I'm screwed. They'll look into our relationship, they'll find out, and they'll never let me step foot in another classroom." Megan rubbed her eyes. "We should've moved far away from all this bullshit."

I could hear the pain in her voice. She was terrified of what could come of this. I couldn't bear to watch Megan start to believe her teaching career was over. It was one of her passions. She loved teaching.

"It's not gonna happen," I reiterated. "I promise."

The silence continued as a soft rock song played on the radio. I turned it up just a few notches to give myself the illusion that nothing was wrong.

Ever since Blair's birthday, Megan and I had barely been able to get through a day without fighting over this situation. I tried to tell her that this is what Nikki really wanted, but she didn't believe me. She believed her ex wanted to ruin her life, but I couldn't wrap my head around that.