Season 3: Episode 5

| July 30 | Monday Evening |

~ Sam's POV ~

Since Crossroads was closed on Mondays, I was guaranteed at least one day off a week where I could do absolutely nothing if I wanted to. Of course, most of my off time was spent unpacking, so when Chris mentioned having an outing with our staff, I was more than happy to join. Apparently, there was this really cool bar down the street from where we all worked called Level Up that everyone went to, and I was looking forward to it.

"Are you sure you don't want to come?" I asked Megan. "'Cause it'd be really cool if you did."

"I'm sorry babe." She gave me a pouty face. "I just have too much planning to do."

I frowned at the rejection but understood. Megan had been working nonstop to get ready for her first year at Palm Vista, and I couldn't blame her for wanting to get everything as perfect as possible. I leaned in and kissed her forehead.

"Alright, well, I'll see you later," I said. "Love you, babe."

"Love you, too."

I grabbed my keys and headed out, wishing Megan would meet some of my coworkers, but thinking maybe it was best she didn't come tonight. Perhaps a more lowkey setting would be best for that, especially since Jade was most likely going to be there tonight.

Eventually I was parking in our employee lot and walking toward the bar that was in sight now that I was looking for it. I could even see Ty and a line cook talking outside. I greeted them when I approached.

"Sam!" Ty exclaimed. "I'm glad you're here."

He followed me back inside and I spotted the rest of the crew that was here. Most of Level Up's clientele right now was our employees, but I wasn't mad about it. As I took in my surroundings, I understood where Level Up got their name.

A bar centered around famous video games lined the walls. They had Pac-Man, Tetris, Space Invaders and much more. They even had a ski-ball game and pinball near the door. The bar had already entered my favorite's list, but when I noticed the pool table, it soared to the top.

Me and Ty walked up to a table where most bartenders sat, including Mia and Jade. When we were in hearing distance, I greeted everyone and they greeted me back, excluding Jade, of course. I brushed it off.

"What are you drinking?" Ty asked.

"Ah, I'll just get a Vodka soda for now."

"On it," Ty said as he disappeared to the bar.

"No, I got it-"

But he was already gone.

"Just let him," Mia said. "He's crushing hard on the bartender and wants any and every excuse to talk to her."

I just smiled at Mia's explanation of Ty's motives, thinking it was cute. Then, Ty returned with my drink and handed it off to me, allowing the table to resume their previous conversation before we had arrived.

"I'm just saying, I'm a pro at pool," Jade bragged.

"Bet I can beat you," a guy sitting opposite of Jade countered.

"I will school you James. I've done it once before." Jade sipped her drink. "I can probably beat everyone in here with my eyes closed."

A part of me wanted to challenge her because, well, pool was my game too. I hadn't played in a bit, but once I shook the rust off, it was like riding a bike. Then, the logical part of me didn't want to say anything and let the subject change. If I played and beat Jade, it would just give her more reason to hate me.