Season 3: Episode 6

| August 8 | Monday evening |

~ Megan's POV ~

It was strange being back in teacher mode after two years of not teaching at all, but I couldn't say I wasn't excited. We were having open house for the kids to familiarize themselves with their classroom and teachers, along with giving parents the opportunity to meet their kid's teacher and drop off school supplies.

I stood nervously outside of my classroom, Ethan standing on the other side giving me a reassuring smile.

"Hey," he said. "You'll be fine."

"I hope so," I responded, seeing a woman and a young boy swiftly walking toward us.

The butterflies in my stomach swarmed at the sight of them approaching, me hopeful that this was my first kid. Unfortunately, they turned to Ethan and greeted him excitedly. I felt my shoulders shrink in disappointment. Apparently, it was common for parents to skip out on orientation altogether. I hoped today that wouldn't be the case.

But just as the thought of no one showing up crossed my mind, another family approached us, this time stopping in front of my door.

"Ms. Adams?" the man asked.

"Yes!" I greeted as I stuck out my hand.

"Hi." The man took my hand. "Michael Ellis. This is Ben."

I stuck out my hand to Ben who was dressed sharp. It was obvious he came from a clean-cut type of family, and he accepted my gesture.

"Nice to meet you Ben," I greeted. "Are you excited for school to start?"

"I am!" He shook my hand eagerly. "You're very pretty!"

I just laughed and led him into my classroom to show him his seat. After Ben, families started to come in one after another, dropping off supplies and allowing me to meet my students. By the end, I had concurred that my class was going to be amazing and the nerves were slowly fading. Eventually, I had ten minutes left and had decided to start packing up to leave, only to check my roster and notice a name that hadn't been checked, which meant she hadn't made it to open house.

Ava, I read to myself.

Then I heard Ethan call out to me from the hallway.

"How was it?" he asked.

"It was great," I said. "I'm just missing one."

"That's still a good turnout," he encouraged. "I'm sure you'll meet her next Monday."

"Yeah," I replied. "See you then."

"See you."

Then he was gone. I checked my watch again and figured she most likely wasn't coming, so I grabbed my things and headed to the door to lock up. It wasn't until I was heading down the hall that I heard someone.

"Where the hell is this damn classroom!" A woman. She was definitely a woman. Maybe a bit older judging by the rasp in her voice. "Ava, pick up your damn feet. We're already late."

They appeared at the end of the hall. The little girl, who I guessed to be Ava, had tangled brown hair that hit at her chest. Her pink shirt was wrinkled with a stain of something brown, and also wore a baggy pair of jeans. I watched them approach me as the mother tugged the little girl behind her without much regard to the little girls naturally slower pace.

The woman, who was a bit overweight and smelled of cigarette smoke, extended her hand.

"Are you Ms. Adams?" she asked.