Season 4: Episode 5

| April 8th | Monday Afternoon |

~ Megan's POV ~

Today was the day I was supposed to have my parent-teacher conference with Lisa, and I was beyond nervous. Not to get to the bottom of whatever seemed to be going on at home, but to suggest my idea of tutoring Ava after school. I believed my intentions remained good. I just hoped Lisa looked at it the same way I did.

"Hey, could you do me a favor today?" I ask Ethan during recess.

"Sure. What is it?"

"I'm having a conference with Ava's guardian and was wondering if Ava could hang out with Ashton in your classroom?"

"Yeah, I don't see why not." He nods. "Is this because of the whole late thing?"

"Yeah," I admit. "I'm gonna suggest tutoring Ava after school as well."

He just looks at me with a confused look.

"What?" I ask. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Do you think that's a good idea?"

"Why wouldn't it be?"

He shrugs. "I mean, Lisa could take it as overstepping your boundaries as a teacher."

He had a point and I knew it. I had thought about that consequence, but I had a plan. Instead of continuing the conversation, I just thanked him for agreeing to watch Ava and remained quiet throughout the rest of recess.

When the time came, and Ava was sitting in my class waiting for Lisa to show, I sat next to her and helped her do the homework I assigned. I consistently checked my watch and realized Lisa was a bit behind schedule. If I was late to therapy, Sam would be really upset with me.

Then, there was a rapid knock on the door. Lisa stood there looking disheveled, but at least she was here.

"Ava, why don't you go to Mr. Wess' class to hang out with Ashton while we talk," I suggest.

"Okay!" Ava agrees excitedly.

I watch her scurry off to the adjacent classroom before Lisa takes a seat in Ava's desk. There's this exhausted look on her face, but I just hope it was from this new job she claimed to have. It seems as if it was a task for her to even be here.

"How are you, Lisa?" I ask.

"Tired," she confesses.

"Listen, I don't wanna take up any more of your time than I have to," I continue. "So, I need you to tell me what's going on, because I may have some ideas to help you and Ava."

She just stares at me, as if contemplating and determining my motives. If I were being honest, she just looked fed up with everything in general. My fingers remain crossed under the desk.

"I have to make a certain number of hours at my new job to qualify as full-time, because if I don't, I won't qualify for health insurance," she unloads. "I've tried working out a solution with my boss, but it's the only way.

"Are you saying the hours just aren't compatible with Palm Vista's school hours?"

"Yes."

"Well, is there anyone else in the household that could possibly pick Ava up? Or could she switch over to become a bus rider?" I wonder.

There's hesitation on Lisa's part, and I wonder if there were things she was leaving out. Details she was purposely refusing to tell me. I figure that must be it, because she seems to be searching for something acceptable to say.