Life In Color~Kleinsen

Jared chuckled over the phone, his lips twitching into an almost over-exaggerated smile. His eyes crinkled at the edges, his beautifully placed teeth flashing at the sound of Evan's voice. It made his heart race hearing the voice of the one he loved so much. His phone nearly cut out as Evan spoke, making him tilt his head in curiosity, nearly like a puppy would when it's new owner called it's name. "What did you say, Ev?" Jared sniffed. Tears were in his eyes. He'd called Evan on a whim, just to make him smile after a bad day.

"I said, you and me, are going out tomorrow if it kills us." Evan had a challenging twinge in his voice. "Jared, we're on a vacation, and you haven't even been out of the hotel room yet." Evan pushed. "I have an idea."

"What's that, Ev?" Jared tilted his head again, smiling heavily through the phone. Evan and Jared had gone on a vacation to Austin, Texas. They were taking a break in between high school and college. It was a boring summer. It was a depressing year. Jared had gotten upset with himself more and more that year. He critiqued himself in every little thing he did, and Evan had just noticed it after Jared had shown up on his doorstep begging him to save him from himself. From that moment on, Evan vowed to stay with Jared; to help him. They had shared their first kiss only weeks before, over a bottle of non-alcoholic wine (which Jared swore was just grape juice). The stains in his white t-shirt just stayed there. No amount of pre-treating was going to fix the light violet stain left on the chest of it. He didn't want it fixed. The stain had too many memories. It kept hope for Jared. Evan was there for him. He was there for Jared when he needed him the most.

"Let's go down to the Congress bridge, and watch the bats." Evan suggested. "I've been reading about them. Apparently they're one of the biggest tourist attractions in Texas. In the summer, at around sunset, millions of Mexican Free-Tailed bats fly out of the bridge to find food at night." Evan got incredibly excited suddenly, and Jared chuckled. He continued. "Apparently it's the largest urban bat colonization in the world!"

"That's insane!" Jared smiled even wider. "That sounds so cool. Of course!"

"Okay. I'll be back in the room in about ten minutes." Evan spoke softly, with excitement. "I love you, Jare."

"Love you, too, Evan." And Jared set his phone next to him, smiling widely with his eyes gazing at the ceiling. He was the luckiest man alive to have Evan, and Evan knew it as much as he did.

Their fingers interlocked tightly, making each of them smile widely as they walked along South Congress Avenue Bridge. The sun was about to set, making their faces glow orange. Jared could feel the sun burning his face, but the blush burned brighter. The view from the bridge was incredible. The sun was about to set over the water, making it look as if it was steaming down.

Jared turned to Evan, suddenly, tears in his eyes. "It's... it's beautiful, Ev. How did you find out about this place?"

"Well," Evan chuckled, gripping Jared's hand tightly. "I met this super nice girl at the farmers market yesterday. She's lived near here all her life. The first time she saw them she was five. I was asking about places to go and she went on and on and on about the bat bridge. And I looked it up and I just thought it was so cool." Evan spoke quickly, a light and happy tone in his deep voice. The orange light made his blue eyes look like a shade of turquoise. The tiny hairs growing on his cheeks were illuminated, slightly. His hair shifted in the wind current. He smiled lightly. "I just thought of you, you know?"

"I'm glad you did, Evan. The view is fantastic. It's insane." Jared couldn't help but chuckle. He pressed a soft kiss to Evan's cheek. "You're the best, Evan."

"I know." Evan gripped his hand tighter. "I've got an even bigger surprise for you, JareBear."

"Oh?" Jared let a smug grin spread on his face. "What could possibly be better than this, if you don't mind me asking, Hansen?"

"You'll see." Evan covered his eyes with his hands.

When Jared opened his eyes again, he was in front of a canoe, with two life vests planted on the two seats. They were bright orange. "I figured you'd want a front row seat."

They pulled the life vests over their heads, undeniable grins plastered on their faces. Evan stepped in, first, grabbing Jared's hand and pulling him in with him. They paddled out to the center of the river, right as the sun kissed the horizon and began to set in a vibrant explosions of reds and oranges. The sky had a pink hue near the horizon, and the first stars began to make themselves known. Te crescent moon cut through the sky in a beautiful silver tone. Venus wasn't far behind the moon, shining brightly next to it.

And to think, this is what Jared was missing, being cooped up in a hotel room for the past four days with nothing to do but sit in the computer and talk to Evan.

The first squeak made Jared lurk up, staring up at the bridge, which was soon erupting with loud squeaks and chirps from the tiny creatures. They began to shoot out like tiny jets, swarming the trees, making the sky appear spotted. They flew out so elegantly; so delicately. Jared didn't realize how much he missed the color of the world. He hadn't noticed the little things before. He hadn't noticed how harsh city lights against soft skies made the world contrast so beautifully. He didn't realize how bright just a sliver of light on a round rock could be so breathtaking. The tiny creatures swarming the sky just made it all too real. He let out a tiny noise; a happy sob. "It's... it's so beautiful," Jared's voice was almost inaudible. "Oh my god, Evan."

Evan placed his hand on Jared's shoulder, turning him around and kissing him passionately. His hair was blowing in the wind, a small mist of water coming over the two. "Did I ever tell you how beautiful you look when you're so happy?" Evan whispered.

"I don't think you've had the chance until now, Ev." Jared pulled him in again. "God, I love you."

"I know."

—a/n—

Hey I told you I could actually write.

There's a current face reveal in the attachment as well as the song that inspired the oneshot.

What I made Evan not anxious fight me

Wowee look at that it's actually not angsty good job Emily

Hey how are ya Marley

Lmao I'll be back soon with angst because angst is the best.

I love you my Carcrashovercastyoungbloods

-Emily aka Foblvr