Together (Murphy Siblings) [2]

"Do you actually think you can win?" I was standing there, stuck in my brown dress, Connor's body pressed up against mine in a protective stance. We showed unity, during the tribute parade, something that Avania Croft, a District One tribute, clearly didn't know how to define. She stood, staring at me and Connor, her gold eyeshadow seeming to burn through her eyelids as she twirled a curled strand of dark chestnut hair on her fingertip. She narrowed her eyes, a smile appearing in her bronze stained lips. "What? You think, jut because you're brother and sister, that they'll make up rules for you? Either way, neither of you weak District Seven twigs have a shot. You'll be dead before we start." She shot the last sentence at me, and my heart sped up, slightly.

"Avania, just leave us alone." Connor stepped forward, his hands shaking slightly. He puffed up his chest, slightly, though his lanky stature proved to boyish to be intimidating.

"Or what, Murphy? You'll kill me?" She stepped forward, shoving her heel into the top of Connor's foot. He didn't flinch. He didn't do anything but stare back at her as she mindlessly griped at him. "I'd like to see you try."

"You'll be the first, Avania. Mark my words. Come near me and my sister and it'll be the last thing you ever do."

"Connor, stop," I whimpered, pulling him away from the girl. I frowned, pushing his hair behind his ear as he faced me. "It's not worth it, Con." My eyes met Avania's, a look of malice on both of our faces. "She isn't worth it."

"That's right, go run away. It seems to be the only thing you Murphy's are good at!" She scowled, and I felt my blood run cold.

"Avania, That is enough!" Poppy Zaveri, the District One mentor hissed. "The sponsors are watching, and they don't want to see you picking at the other tributes."

I didn't listen to the rest of their conversation. I couldn't. Avania's words rang in my ears, over and over.

She's right. All we ever do is run.

When I was reaped, the look of terror on my face was equivalent to that of someone who had just witnessed a murder.

In a way, I guess I had.

"As always, ladies first." I watched Maren Vani shoved her hand into the bowl, my head pounding.

You're sixteen, Zoe. Your name has only been in four times. They aren't going to pick you.

The agonizing wait to hear who will most likely die in an arena is almost excruciatingly painful. Maren always drags it out, using her long, overgrown fingernails to break the seal. She always presses it right up against the microphone making sure very child heard every single crinkle of the paper as she opens it, and then she looks at the paper, throws it aside, and shouts out the name.

Every damn time.

Today was no exception.

Her finger sliced through the seal, the sound echoing around in the air. I felt my hands tighten around the bottom of my skirt, bunching the fabric in between my fingertips. My gaze was locked on the ground, my heart beating out of my chest as I heard her take a breath.

Please don't be me.

"Zoe Murphy."

My heart shattered.

And my first instinct was to run. I was going to run until they forced me onto that stage. I was going to run until I died trying to escape. I was ready to run. I wasn't ready to die.

But I didn't.

No, I just stared at my brother from across the field, both of our eyes glossy with tears. I could tell he wanted to volunteer for me. I could tell he'd rather it be him, but he couldn't. He wasn't allowed to, and we both knew it.

So he did the next best thing.

"And now, the boys." Maren began to slowly walk towards the glass bowl, still looking at me as she did so.

"I volunteer!"

The entire facility went dead silent, all except for my teary eye'd brother, screaming at the top of his lungs. "I volunteer!"

"Connor, no!" I hissed taking a step forward. I was stopped by a peacekeeper, but he couldn't stop my screams of shock and terror.. "Connor, you can't! Don't! Please!"

But it was too late. Connor was already on his way up to the stage, wiping his bloodshot eyes. He stared directly at me, his breath catching in his throat as he climbed the steps. "If we're going to die, we're going to do it together."

Connor never ran. He just kept me from doing it. Avania had no right to tell him that he did. Connor always protected me. He always had.

Maybe now it's my turn.

Upon entering our hotel room, I was exhausted. Connor was complaining about Avania's little attempt to crush his foot. "No, I just don't understand her problem. She just walked up and shoved Zoe and started bad mouthing us," Connor grumbled, taking his hair down.

"It doesn't matter. She was picking a fight. Let's just leave it, Con," I insisted. "It doesn't help us at all if you're picking fights with the tributes before we're supposed to."

"She started it!"

"And I had to end it, Con." I crossed my arms, pulling my hair out of it's braid. I narrowed my eyes, almost mocking Avania's toddler like behavior. "Honestly, Con. We can't afford to have enemies, especially not District One."

"She can't just do that to you!" Connor growled, sitting back into the chair. He took off his metallic green blazer, a plain black t-shirt underneath. He shoved his head in his hands, his elbows hitting the table with a loud clunk.

"I can handle myself, Connor. You never even had to be here!" I sat opposite of him. "You weren't reaped, you fucking volunteered! Because of me! Do you understand how guilty that makes me feel?" I felt my voice crack as Maren entered the room, a look of disapproval on her face. I didn't care. "I don't want you trying to get yourself killed so I have a chance."

"What? I wasn't—"

"Shut up, Connor!" I growled. "I've seen you! You're picking fights so they'll come after you and not me in the games, and I'm sick of it. I just want to spend whatever time we have like a fucking family."

"Zoe," Maren warned. "Language."

"Oh, fuck off, Maren!" I hissed. "Avania's right. I don't have a chance. Connor, you're wasting your time."

Connor looked up at me, his eyes twinkling in acceptance. "Fine, Zoe, but if anyone touches you, and I mean so much as breathes on you, I'm not going to let them do it again."

"Can we just..." I glanced at Maren apologetically. "Can we just eat dinner? Like a family?"

"I don't see why not." Maren sat down, glancing from me to Connor. "Francesca should be here soon. I think she's buttering up the sponsors." Francesca was a rather young woman. She won the games a couple years back. She isn't much older than Connor.

I don't like her, much.

I nodded, beginning to dig into the fresh turkey placed in front of me.

Enjoy it while it lasts, Murphy.

—a/n—

I'm headed to my therapist right now but I love this au.

HMU on amino

That's all I got right now Whoops.

I love you my Carcrashovercastyoungbloods

-Emily aka foblvr