Pins And Needles (Heidi Hansen)

Never understood how he could
Mean so little to so many
Why does he mean everything to me?

Heidi Hansen awoke in the middle of the day, surprised to hear her phone ring at noon, when everyone knew she was dead asleep. She yawned, stretching as she grabbed her phone from the nightstand.

It almost fell from her bony, exhausted fingers, down to the floor between her bed and her nightstand, but Heidi managed to grip the phone and slide the 'answer call' button. She yawned, placing it up to her ear. "Hello?"

"Heidi, I know your shift doesn't start for a few more hours, but it's triage down here."

She took a moment to mentally groan as she got out of her bed, keeping the phone between her ear and her shoulder. "I'll be down in fifteen, Francis."

Heidi put down her phone and pulled on her scrubs, tying her hair into a high ponytail. A few strands hung out from her substandard tie job, but she didn't mind. She needed all the overtime she could get, providing for Evan, sending her to class. She was willing to sacrifice a few hours of sleep for a few extra bucks.

Is it worth the pain?
With no one to blame?
For all of my insecurities
How could I ever let you go?

Heidi remembered Evan's panicked state that morning. She remembered telling him that he had missed too much school, and that she didn't want him to go through credit recovery. She remembered driving him, feeling awful when his shaky, nervous frame left the car, and his teary eyes met hers in a pleading manner. She remembered waving goodbye to him, as if it were a normal day, because she thought it had been.

Questioning his good intention

She just wanted him to be happy.

Jealousy's a bad invention

Heidi still thought nothing if the visit to her son's school that morning. It was just a memory that slid into her mind for the sole purpose of making her uneasy.

Still, she really hoped Evan was doing okay.

When you push on glass it's bound to break

Heidi ran a hand through her messy, tied hair, stepping into her vehicle. She yawned, turning the key and starting the engine. It rumbled loudly, vibrating under her feet until she shifted to reverse and pressed on the gas ever so slightly.

Heidi still let her mind wander to that morning. Seeing Evan leave her to do nothing but panic inside while he worked. She left him at school, like that.

That didn't matter, though.

Because she did it.

Even when he was defensive
It just gave me more incentive
The more you squeeze, the more it slips away.

Heidi couldn't shake the feeling that what she'd done that morning would ruin her.

She exited the car quickly, seeing the ambulances pulling in by the dozen. Her breath hitched as she rushed inside, narrowing her eyes in confusion. "What the hell happened?"

"Shooting, Westbrook High."

Heidi's heart stopped, her head beginning to spin as she tried to wrap her mind around the words she'd just heard. "I'm sorry, where?"

"Westbrook High School."

Silence.

I've never walked so far.

Heidi heard nothing after that. The loud panic in her mind was too much to register. She leaned against the wall, gripping the railing tightly for a moment, knowing that she should be doing her job, but she just couldn't because there was a shooting at Westbrook High School.