DKA Is a Bitch. I'd Know (Treebros)

Part 2 Of: "It's not Heroin, it's insulin, Idiot."

Evan sighed, pulling his backpack strap over his shoulder as he strutted out of the nurses office. He loved beating Jared when it came to his blood sugars. It was a war between the two. They were nearly the same, generally. They had the same insulin to carb ratios, everything, which made it the best thing for him when the just showed up Jared by two points on his meter. Jared had been 154, and Evan 152. "Well, that's not fair!" Jared seethed when Evan showed his meter to him. "You got your shot before me, hansen! That's not fair!"

"By two minutes, Kleinman. Suck it."

Evan headed out to the hall, into the cafeteria, half hoping to ind his boyfriend sitting right at his usual spot, but instead, he saw Zoe sitting there, sadly.

"Hey, Zo, what's up?" Evan inquired, taking a seat next to the flustered girl.

She took an earbud your and looked up from her phone. Her face was shocked for a moment, but then she shut off her music completely, put her phone away, and blew out a puff of air. "Evan, I was just about to text you." She shifted. She looked at him, solemnly. "Ev, just don't freak out, okay?"

"Zoe, why would I freak out?"

"Connor is in the hospital. He was admitted this morning." She spoke quickly, trying to avoid the subject, but Evan heard her all too clearly.

"What?"

"Evan, I said don't freak out: I just found out. He said he wasn't feeling well this morning. Apparently he couldn't keep anything down and he was super dehydrated and I thought he was just trying to ditch and all so I didn't worry about it, but mom just called me and told me that Connor was admitted into the hospital an hour ago and they don't know how bad it is yet."

Evan bit his lip, his eyebrows drawing together in a pained expression. "It's DKA, isn't it?" He looked up at her, not wanting to hear the answer.

"Yeah."

Evan stood, abruptly, walking outside to the back of the school, where he and Connor first kissed. He sat down and cried. Memories flashed in his head of 2014, the last time he had been hospitalized for DKA.

Unfortunately, since this is the fifth time in four years, we have no choice to call CPS.

When Evan was last in the hospital, at least for that, it was the worst week of his life.

Once upon a time, Evan Hansen hadn't cared about his diabetes. Before he met Jared or Connor was this time. He just wanted to act like he had a normal pancreas, and no matter how hard his mother tried, Evan Hansen was so stubborn. He would sneak candy. He would lie about his numbers. He would claim he took correction for his carbs. He never did, and that landed him in the hospital around once a year for a good five years.

And the thing that changed his whole point of view was when the doctors started threatening to take Evan away from his mother, because if she was fit to take care of him, he wouldn't be in that situation.

They had called CPS on them, and that was when the guilt set in. He tried desperately to say it wasn't her fault, but when he did, they would tell him, "Honey, she raised you like that."

After that week, Evan vowed never again to put her through that. He loved his mom too much.

But in the midst of those tears without a hospital visit, Evan had nearly forgotten how serious DKA was.

It was the worst thing ever, in his opinion. Your stomach constantly hurt, and all you wanted was some water, but you couldn't even keep that down, so you end up straight up vomiting everything in your guts. Evan's worst one was the first time he got it, when he was diagnosed. He had been in what his mother thought was an open eyed coma for three days. He was completely unresponsive.

He prayed that that wasn't how Connor was, now.

Evan rushed through the hospital doors, following Zoe, sighing sadly as they entered the elevator. "Do you know what happened, Zo?"

"I really don't know, man." Zoe pushed the button for the fourth floor, pulling her bottom lip in between her teeth. They rode the rest of the way in silence.

Upon arriving to Connor's room, he was staring at a blank clay cat with nothing but a nose painted onto its's blank face. A small paintbrush was in his hand, along with some small paints in the other. "Mom, which, uh, which color should I paint the eyes?" Connor questioned, taking a sip of some water.

"Blue And Brown," Evan stated, nonchalantly, watching Zoe go sit next to her mother. "Like your eyes."

"Ev!" To say Connor was happy was and understatement. He was ecstatic, practically shooting towards Evan before he realized that he was still in a hospital, and his blood sugar was still up where it shouldn't be.

"Hey, babe." Evan smiled giving Connor the biggest bear hug that he had ever given anyone, period. "How are you doing?"

"So, uh," Connor sighed, "Well, the little plastic cannula in my pump was nicked so none of the insulin could set through and I didn't notice until this morning that it wasn't delivering and it was just... awful."

"Hey, Con, Look at me." Evan tilted his head up, smiling wide as Connor drew his bottom lip in between his teeth. "Con, DKA is a bitch. I'd know." He places a kiss on Connor's hand. "And I'm so glad that I can help you. Whatever you need, I promise, I am here. I love you so much, Connor Murphy. You're so strong, and brave, and sweet. I don't think you will ever know how much I love you, Connor Murphy."

"I love you too."

—a/n—

A cannula is a little tube that sits just under your skin that puts the insulin in your body.

Also the insulin pump Connor has is the same as mine it's called the t slim x2 and it's great I named mine Benjamin (by complete coincidence)

This is Benjamin

Anyway TheInsanelyCoolMS is a lit person and I love them very much.

Goodbye my geese

I love you my Carcrashovercastyoungbloods

-Emily aka Foblvr